Two individual coiled inductor

sheepdog

Joined Jan 26, 2009
Hello all, I have one of the above inductors where both coils are wound separately resulting in 4 wires being available for connection. Could somebody tell me please if I could use one of the coils in a buck converter, or both coils connected either side of the load.
Thank you for any advice

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Above inductors are usually right for the buck converter part but if you want to connect to the output, it usually works better with Middle inductors or Below inductors.

What are you talking about? Buck converters are so dependent on the inductor that starting with the inductor is a very limiting way to design. You (and we) can't tell anything about your inductor from a drawing or a picture. The specs must be had. How much inductance? How much current can it survive? What voltages are you working with?

sheepdog

Joined Jan 26, 2009
Above inductors are usually right for the buck converter part but if you want to connect to the output, it usually works better with Middle inductors or Below inductors.

What are you talking about? Buck converters are so dependent on the inductor that starting with the inductor is a very limiting way to design. You (and we) can't tell anything about your inductor from a drawing or a picture. The specs must be had. How much inductance? How much current can it survive? What voltages are you working with?
I have already sized the inductor/capacitor for 5% ripple, inductor is 5mh,6amp 240v rating it will be working at 4amp max,12v max,6amp ultra fast recovery diode at 20khz. I just wanted to know if the two coiled inductors were suitable to be used in buck converters,but you have answered that. Thank you