TV lift issues

Happy-Funball

Joined Dec 21, 2015
Sony XBR 49X830C and TV Lift

I have a Sony XBR 49X830C, on a TVLift brand lift. The TVLift has a current sensing outlet, that the TV is plugged into. When the TV is turned on, the lift should turn on automatically and raise the TV and vice versa. There must be a low current flowing through the TV, because when the TV is turn off, the lift is thinking the TV is still on, and will not go down.

Is there some type of adaptor that can modify or filter voltage between the TV and the lift's current sensing outlet, so when the TV is turned off, the lift understands, and goes down. Or is there another solution? I have shut down the TV's ECO power settings, but the problem continues

Thank you, HFB

Happy-Funball

Joined Dec 21, 2015
Sony XBR 49X830C and TV Lift

I have a Sony XBR 49X830C, on a TVLift brand lift. The TVLift has a current sensing outlet, that the TV is plugged into. When the TV is turned on, the lift should turn on automatically and raise the TV and vice versa. There must be a low current flowing through the TV, because when the TV is turn off, the lift is thinking the TV is still on, and will not go down.

Is there some type of adaptor that can modify or filter voltage between the TV and the lift's current sensing outlet, so when the TV is turned off, the lift understands, and goes down. Or is there another solution? I have shut down the TV's ECO power settings, but the problem continues

Thank you, HFB
What happens if you unplug the tv lead, does the lift go down?
Yes, the lift goes down.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Is there a sensitivity knob on the lift? The new TVs have a lot of stuff going on in idle mode/standby mode. From amplifying the signal for a potential remote control (On Request) to day/date calendar and smart tv functions (wifi). Your tv obviously has too many features sucking current.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
The sony web site says it consumes a half watt on standby. This is surprisingly low to be detected by the lift. Call the lift company and see if they have a solution.

Happy-Funball

Joined Dec 21, 2015
The sony web site says it consumes a half watt on standby. This is surprisingly low to be detected by the lift. Call the lift company and see if they have a solution.

Thank you for your response! The lift company has not been helpful at all. I do not want to return the lift, as it Is very quiet. I was hoping there would be some type of solution.

Thanks again

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
There are remote controlled power outlets, and this would turn the TV fully off. These are used for Xmas lights and will be on sale in a week. Not the most elegant solution, but I think it would work

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
There are remote controlled power outlets, and this would turn the TV fully off. These are used for Xmas lights and will be on sale in a week. Not the most elegant solution, but I think it would work
Hopefully he does not have to reprogram the available channels each time power is disconnected (like Samsung TVs.

Happy-Funball

Joined Dec 21, 2015
Is there a sensitivity knob on the lift? The new TVs have a lot of stuff going on in idle mode/standby mode. From amplifying the signal for a potential remote control (On Request) to day/date calendar and smart tv functions (wifi). Your tv obviously has too many features sucking current.
There is no sensitivity knob on the control box.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Kind of crazy but you can try this

Pick on one of these
http://www.conservationmart.com/p-3...scg3.aspx?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=products

Plug the strip into the lift outlet. Plug the TV into the control outlet. Plug an amplifier or anything you want want on with the TV into the switched outlet. You can even use a lamp.

But before you spend the money, plug the TV and lamp into a power strip. Plug the power strip into the lift. Turn everything on. If that does not keep the lift up then the lift current sensor is bad.

Happy-Funball

Joined Dec 21, 2015
Kind of crazy but you can try this

Pick on one of these
http://www.conservationmart.com/p-3...scg3.aspx?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=products

Plug the strip into the lift outlet. Plug the TV into the control outlet. Plug an amplifier or anything you want want on with the TV into the switched outlet. You can even use a lamp.

But before you spend the money, plug the TV and lamp into a power strip. Plug the power strip into the lift. Turn everything on. If that does not keep the lift up then the lift current sensor is bad.
Thank you forthe direction! I will check out this power strip.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The problem is apparently that the sensing circuit in the lift is too sensitive.
I don't see how the power strip can help that problem. :confused:
Sounds like you need to open the lift electronics and bypass the sense circuit with a small resistor. The sense circuit is likely in series with the hot lead, so just place the resistor from the wall plug hot lead connection to the hot lead going to the TV. You may have to determine the optimum value by experiment. Try about 10 ohms to start.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
The problem is apparently that the sensing circuit in the lift is too sensitive.
I don't see how the power strip can help that problem. :confused:
It should if the problem is the sensor is indeed too sensitive. I did mention it is a bit of a crazy solution but it should work. The lamp or amp or whatever extra load is plugged into the smart strip with the TV as the master. The extra load overcomes the sensitivity of the sensor in the lift. Turning off the TV would shut both the TV and the extra load off lowering the lift. If OP is using a entertainment center anyway, the idea is not all that crazy, solves the issue and has the bonus of shutting the amp off with the TV.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
It should if the problem is the sensor is indeed too sensitive. I did mention it is a bit of a crazy solution but it should work. The lamp or amp or whatever extra load is plugged into the smart strip with the TV as the master. The extra load overcomes the sensitivity of the sensor in the lift. Turning off the TV would shut both the TV and the extra load off lowering the lift. If OP is using a entertainment center anyway, the idea is not all that crazy, solves the issue and has the bonus of shutting the amp off with the TV.
Still makes no sense to me. How can adding a load reduce the sensitivity?:confused:
If the strip is plugged into the lift as you suggested, then there will still be the minimum current from the TV going through the lift current sensor which is keeping the lift from lowering the TV.
That's the problem we're trying to solve.
I suspect the lift circuit has a very sensitive current sensor (such as parallel back-to-back diodes) in series with the line which is detecting the very small standby-current of the TV.
That's why I suggest a resistor in parallel with that sensor to reduce its sensitivity.

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Still makes no sense to me. How can adding a load reduce the sensitivity?:confused:
If the strip is plugged into the lift as you suggested, then there will still be the minimum current from the TV going through the lift current sensor which is keeping the lift from lowering the TV.
That's the problem we're trying to solve.
I suspect the lift circuit has a very sensitive current sensor (such as parallel back-to-back diodes) in series with the line which is detecting the very small standby-current of the TV.
That's why I suggest a resistor in parallel with that sensor to reduce its sensitivity.

The way I understand it, is that the lift is going down when the TV is still on. Maybe I got it wrong. The OP is a bit confusing to me.