Turn square wave of any duty cycle to a square wave with a 50% duty cycle

icantalktosneks

Joined Apr 23, 2021
Is there a way of turning a square wave signal of any duty cycle to a square wave with a 50% duty cycle (and same frequency)?

I'm trying to make a self-oscillating tesla coil driven with a PWM signal with a duty cycle of 50%. The PWM signal drives a full-bridge inverter, while the feedback signal is obtained via an antenna. But the feedback signal I receive doesn't have the same duty cycle. Is there a way of changing its duty cycle to 50% to drive the tesla coil?

1675760917379.png
For example, shown above in green is the actual signal I need to drive the tesla coil. The signal in red is the feedback signal I'm receiving.

I've also attached the ltspice simulation for clarity.

Attachments

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Is the feedback signal frequency fixed (albeit with varying duty cycle)? If so you could frequency-double it, then use the doubled frequency to clock a toggling latch to get back the original frequency with 50% duty cycle.

StefanZe

Joined Nov 6, 2019
You could divde the frequency by 2 (toggle on one of the flanks) and then use a PLL to double the frequency.
The output of the PLL should be your desired frequency with a 50% duty cycle

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Then it is not self oscillating. A self-oscillating coil would not be driven another oscillator, it would be part of the oscillator circuit.

Can you explain why you would drive it with a square wave at its resonant frequency? That does not sound right to me.

A traditional Tesla coil is driven by a sharp pulse (capacitor discharging through a spark gap) at a much lower frequency than the resonance.

StefanZe

Joined Nov 6, 2019
Then it is not self oscillating. A self-oscillating coil would not be driven another oscillator, it would be part of the oscillator circuit.

Can you explain why you would drive it with a square wave at its resonant frequency? That does not sound right to me.

A traditional Tesla coil is driven by a sharp pulse (capacitor discharging through a spark gap) at a much lower frequency than the resonance.
You can drive a tesla coil without the capacitor, but you need to know the resonance frequency.