TTL&CMOS families

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
There is no short answer to your question.

Aside from the obvious difference of cmos (complimentary metal oxide semiconductor) versus ttl (transistor-transistor logic), the major difference is the difference in power consumption by the two logic families.

Standard TTL will draw several milliamps of supply current while cmos draws several microamps. This hundred fold decrease in current consumption makes cmos very attractive from a designer's perspective since the power supply costs often account for a major percentage of the design cost.

hgmjr

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
In addition to what hgmjr said, TTL requires a Vcc of +4.75 to +5.25 volts, where CMOS can operate over a relatively wide range of voltage.

CMOS is generally much slower than TTL, but not much of a concern unless you're getting into the MHz range.

CMOS is much more susceptible to damage by static discharge than TTL.

TTL is ancient technology - it's been around 30+ years.

CMOS is much newer, but is still pretty old technology.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
What about LVTTL, huh huh huh? :p

EDIT:

NM...bad joke.
Bwahaha! :D

Yeah, there's a slew of technologies out there now - it's nice to have choices. :) Didn't want to confuse the thread originator with more than what they were asking for.

In 1980, I built some equipment using MECL IC's (Motorola ECL, Emitter Coupled Logic). The particular board was being clocked at 117 MHz, which was at the bleeding edge of the technology of the day. It doubled as a room heater. ;) I can't remember how much power it drew, but it was pretty significant.

techroomt

Joined May 19, 2004
"i need all TTL and CMOS series and definition" , wow! all in all, good characterisics were given here - different voltage levels, power consumptions, speed, and logic (voltage) trigger levels. and, there are a few more. please realize there are many cmos and ttl families, and the differences between them are many. if you email me i will give you a list of the families to the best of my ability.

alitex

Joined Mar 5, 2007
"i need all TTL and CMOS series and definition" , wow! all in all, good characterisics were given here - different voltage levels, power consumptions, speed, and logic (voltage) trigger levels. and, there are a few more. please realize there are many cmos and ttl families, and the differences between them are many. if you email me i will give you a list of the families to the best of my ability.
this is my email
vvalivv@hotmail.com
thankx