Tsk Tsk, necroposting and hijacking at its worst. Both are not really allowed here.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
This policy really does not make sense to me, I belong to quite a few forums including a moderator on a large site and as long as it is relevant to the OP it is allowed??
Besides I was not a member back in 2012!
Whatever.
Max.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
:confused: To what are you referring?

Cancel that.

Starting a PM with a moderator might get you better answers. After all, they are in charge of interpreting the rules.
(It works for me. ;))

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
OK, but it is policy, and it ain't gonna change. Want to continue a discussion? Start your own thread that belongs to you and refer to the previous thread with a url link.

If someone has a question it is more than rude, it is disruptive, to take the thread over with questions of your own because you were too lazy to start a new thread, thus leaving the OP (original poster) out in the cold, frustrated, and helpless. This is Hijacking.

Which generally leads to necroposting. The OP is gone. They don't care anymore. The thread is dead, let it lie. If you want to pick it back up see the paragraph above. The old thread does not belong to you. If you did start it then it isn't necroposting. I pick up my old threads all the time.

There are very good reasons for these policies. Just because it is don't differently elsewhere doesn't cut much slack here.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
OK, but it is policy, and it ain't gonna change. Want to continue a discussion? Start your own thread that belongs to you and refer to the previous thread with a url link.

If someone has a question it is more than rude, it is disruptive, to take the thread over with questions of your own because you were too lazy to start a new thread, thus leaving the OP (original poster) out in the cold, frustrated, and helpless. This is Hijacking.

Which generally leads to necroposting. The OP is gone. They don't care anymore. The thread is dead, let it lie. If you want to pick it back up see the paragraph above. The old thread does not belong to you. If you did start it then it isn't necroposting. I pick up my old threads all the time.

There are very good reasons for these policies. Just because it is don't differently elsewhere doesn't cut much slack here.
I don't think it is a question of lazy, it is an effort in efficiency. It is difficult enough to get someone to read the posts of a current thread, who goes back to a link? And if they do, there is no efficient way to return too the referring post (other than the back button but most people's attention spans are not so long after reading 10 or 20 posts.

Also, some (many) threads are full of information on a topic by the time they are complete - essentially a reference article. And, articles seem to be the trend of the site since conversion to EEwhatever.com LLC.

I think the no hijacking is BS, especially if it is clear that the OP has found his/her answer or abandon the conversation. I also do see how it could possibly considered rude. I would consider it to be a complement - someone was interested in my post sometime in the future.

@jrap
could you please explain the original intentions behind the strict no-hijacking policy - especially if the OP clearly has his/her answer And the new posts maintain topic continuity?

PS, I completely understand high jacking active threads is a problem, I am not talking about that.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I agree wholeheartedly with you on this. When you come upon a thread and have a question pertaining to it why can't the question be asked, to keep previous posters in the conversation.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Actually the mods came up with this one, starting with BeenThere. But I fully support it, and I have explained the reasoning behind it, make of it what you will.

If the OP wants to continue his thread at a later date, s/he should not have to fight to regain control of what is his property. By giving ownership of a thread to the TS we kill several birds with one stone.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
This is a stupid policy. If I read a thread that hasn't seen activity in say three months, and want to add a comment to the existing thread, or even a question that is in line with the original thread, how do I know (or how do the moderators know) that the OP is still following or not.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Then start your own thread. It is simple enough. It has not been onerous, and it is usually new people to indulge in hijacking.

I have threads that go back to 2008 that I have occasionally used again, for the original reason I started them. I might be a bit different than some, but I've always done this.

By clearly stating a thread belongs to the OP we can prevent mindless chatter from cluttering up that thread, or someone diverting it with an agenda of their own. You think this doesn't happen think again.

Just because a thread is "old" does not make it fair game. Start your own thread if it is such a burning topic, then you can control it to your hearts content. It belongs to you, and the mods will defend your right to it.

Meanwhile we will lock old threads until the thread owner wants to use it again, if they ever do.

This goes to the core of this site, personal responsibility. It isn't going to change.