Trying to set up a 2 channel system for my truck

Andrew0928

Joined Jul 24, 2021
F8986B3A-54B7-4EF8-A95E-678849C72F02.jpeg
I currently have these 2 small round LED’s (KCHilites Cyclone 5W LED) wired to a simple on/off switch. They’re used as”chase lights” for group trips in desert conditions - the amber light cuts through the dust clouds so the people behind you can see where you are.

Since I’m only occasionally in the desert, but drive the truck every day, I’d like to set up a channel switch that will allow them to work as auxiliary blinkers on the road, then let me switch them on full time when I want.

I’m thinking it involves a DPDT switch, the part that’s confusing me is having 2 separate circuits during “on road / blinker” mode, and 1 circuit during “off road / constant on” mode.

I’ll try to sketch up a layout I think can work and post it, but any input / guidance you all have would be most welcome.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

woozycactus

Joined Jan 4, 2021
View attachment 244408
I currently have these 2 small round LED’s (KCHilites Cyclone 5W LED) wired to a simple on/off switch. They’re used as”chase lights” for group trips in desert conditions - the amber light cuts through the dust clouds so the people behind you can see where you are.

Since I’m only occasionally in the desert, but drive the truck every day, I’d like to set up a channel switch that will allow them to work as auxiliary blinkers on the road, then let me switch them on full time when I want.

I’m thinking it involves a DPDT switch, the part that’s confusing me is having 2 separate circuits during “on road / blinker” mode, and 1 circuit during “off road / constant on” mode.

I’ll try to sketch up a layout I think can work and post it, but any input / guidance you all have would be most welcome.
Help me understand this in short. You want the LEDs to tie into turn signals but want to be able to run then full time as well, correct?

woozycactus

Joined Jan 4, 2021
Here’s my best guess at how to set this up - please let me know if it appears workable, and what kind of switch I need to pull this off.
here is my idea. Its more safe using relays. the diodes will prevent back feed to existing turn signals. If this is confusing i can make a better one tomorrow
fixed.png

Andrew0928

Joined Jul 24, 2021
here is my idea. Its more safe using relays. the diodes will prevent back feed to existing turn signals. If this is confusing i can make a better one tomorrow
View attachment 244421
That looks great! So if I properly set up the relays, when I activate the constant on switch, it will open / disconnect the turn signal sides and isolate the circuits? Have I understood that properly? This is very helpful - thanks a lot!

woozycactus

Joined Jan 4, 2021
That looks great! So if I properly set up the relays, when I activate the constant on switch, it will open / disconnect the turn signal sides and isolate the circuits? Have I understood that properly? This is very helpful - thanks a lot!
basically they will operate as turn signals through a relay for left and another for right, full time. when you flip the switch you will give constant power to the relay coil to close the contacts and light will be on all the time, all while the diode keeps your turn signals from staying on all the time as well and operate normally. Keeps from overloading your turn signal wires and fuses. Also add fuses from all power sources.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
You can also do it with only four diodes. But if your vehicle has LED lights in back this may not be adequate
Each diode will need to be able to carry the current for one chase light, which I do not know how much current they draw. That does matter.
Two diodes would feed each chase light, one from the chase light power switch and the other from the stop or turn signal circuit. Both diodes pointing towards the chase light. That is about as simple as it can get.

woozycactus

Joined Jan 4, 2021
You can also do it with only four diodes. But if your vehicle has LED lights in back this may not be adequate
Each diode will need to be able to carry the current for one chase light, which I do not know how much current they draw. That does matter.
Two diodes would feed each chase light, one from the chase light power switch and the other from the stop or turn signal circuit. Both diodes pointing towards the chase light. That is about as simple as it can get.
Should always install relays. It's just more safe and does not interfere with blown detection. That's why all the name brand kits come with the option to get them.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
If the vehicle uses LED lights that could be true. BUT if the vehicle is a bot older and uses incandescent lights then it may not have failed lamp sensing. And if it does, itmight not work but a person should check their lights anyway.