Trying to rewire 3 wire motor to run in reverse

kdog_x

Joined Jan 3, 2019
So, I have a 3 wire motor with capacitor which runs clockwise. I am trying to rewire it to run CCW. From what I understand, I need to flip the connections on the starter windings, which should make it run the other direction. However what I found when I opened up the motor is confusing me. I expected to find 2 coils (4 leads, starter and main coil), with the ends of both coils tied together on the neutral wire. What I found instead is 6 wires coming off of the coils (the wire sizes are similar, so its hard to figure which is which by eye). These are the wire details...

Outside the motor:
RED/ORG - Capacitor Wire plugs
BLU/WHT/BLK - Motor power wire plug

Inside the motor:
Red goes to 1 coil end.
ORG/BLK go to 1 coil end
BLU goes to 1 coil end
WHT goes to 2 coil ends tied together and a thermal fuse. Other end of thermal fuse goes to another coil end

BLU - WHT - 6.1 ohms
BLK - WHT - 15.2 ohm
BLU - BLK - 21.0 ohm

RED - WHT - 25.0 ohms

So from this I believe that BLK-WHT would be the starter windings. And BLU-WHT would be the main windings. RED-WHT confuses me

I disconnected the 6 wires and I am getting 15.2 ohms on 2 of the leads, and I get 6.1 ohms on another 2 of the leads. So that should be my starter and main coils.
With the last 2 leads I get 25.0 ohms

What I don't understand is why does it appear that there are 3 separate coils on the motor? I tried just flipping the two leads that go to the starter coil, but all the motor does is hum when it's energized. I feel like I'm missing something with the 3rd coil (if that's what I'm seeing) that the red capacitor lead goes to. This was the diagram that I was trying to use (colors indicated may be incorrect). top is what I thought the original config would be, bottom is to reverse the motor.

Could the capacitor leads be hooked up across a 3rd coil and my diagram is wrong? Can anyone point me in the right direction for what I'm trying to do?
IMG_9940.jpg
IMG_9939.jpg

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
I was fortunate in being able to find other end of the starter winding & cut it loose from the bundle & reverse it.

kdog_x

Joined Jan 3, 2019
Yeah, I think I found both ends of the starter winding. But reversing them just results in the motor humming. The 3rd coil has me confused. It seems like my diagram may actually be something like this.

IMG_9943.jpg

kdog_x

Joined Jan 3, 2019
I did not try reversing that one, but from what I understand reversing the main winding would shorten the life of the motor.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Not normally, this is how it is done frequently, either reverse the start wingdings or the run,
If you reverse one start winding you normally would swap both.
Max.

kdog_x

Joined Jan 3, 2019
Ah, must have messed something else up with it. I tried setting it back to the way it was and it won't spin clockwise either. I suppose I may have damaged it. Thanks for the help, probably just going to replace the thing and be done with it :)