Trying to repair an Aqua-Vu fish finder

Elektrishun

Joined Dec 27, 2016
Hello.
I am looking for a replacement for a 1Kohm potentiometer that is similar to the three in the image below:

IMG_0024.JPG

The middle 1Kohm pot is on a circuit board from a Aqua-Vu fish finder. Somehow it was damaged from being dropped. Contacted the manufacturer but they do not have parts for this older model. Any leads where I could start looking would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
+1 Digikey

These look like 9mm pots like:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/bourns-inc/PTV09A-2020F-B102/PTV09A-2020F-B102-ND/3781103

I'm guessing they are linear taper. You can be sure by setting the knob at half range and measuring the resistance between the center pin and one of the outer pins. If it reads 1/2 the total resistance, its linear. A logrithmic taper will be closer to 10% or 90% of the total (depending on which outer pin you select). This test is best done out of circuit. Maybe the manufacturer can answer that question for you. A Bourns datasheet is attached. Measure the bracket / pin spacings and see how it fits.

To check out something else, start with a search something like this at Digikey.com and drill down until you find something that will fit the board with the value you need and the physical package that fits.
http://www.digikey.com/products/en/potentiometers-variable-resistors/rotary-potentiometers-rheostats/84?k=&pkeyword=&pv69=80&pv69=949&FV=ffe00054,5c001b,e000008,11100002,1ce40002&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

ALPS and Alpha also make pots like this.
Good luck!

Attachments

Last edited:

Elektrishun

Joined Dec 27, 2016
The exact specs are a Bourns PTV09A-3015F-A102. DigiKey doesn't have that model and I haven't been able to locate it anywhere else including eBay, Amazon, Newark, Jameco and Mouser.

There is an amazing electronics surplus store in Orlando, Florida called Skycraft Parts & Surplus that I visited last year that I will try to contact. If any place on earth is selling that part I believe they will be the one.

Elektrishun

Joined Dec 27, 2016
You could also try calling Bourns and asking nicely for a sample or who stocks them.
Gave it a shot and Bourns redirected me to their distributors. I contacted Newark via the 1-800 number. The Newark staff contacted one of their engineers who relayed the message that if they could get the item I would need to bulk order 200. If anyone here could use 199 of these pots I might go that route.

It was worth a try.

Elektrishun

Joined Dec 27, 2016
It may be time to improvise and use another pot that will work but require modification to get everything fitted back together.