Trying to keep little 3-12 volt dc motor on longer, please help ^-^

sunsetroomrain

Joined Mar 11, 2022
Hello, what's going on is I have a 9v battery with a press button switch that sends power to a capacitor then to a 3-12 volt dc motor and I was wanting it to stay on for a second or two longer after the button is disengaged as the button is only pressed for a fraction of a second (I'm using this as an addon to my embroidery machine in a complicated scenario to fix something and add functionality to the embroidery machine). I can get an led light to stay on like this with a capacitor but not the dc motor, anyone have any ideas on how to do this? I have small capacitors all the way up to 10000uf 25 volts.
Even if the energy is ramping down but the dc motor is still spinning, that should work.

Thanks any help is much appreciated!

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Apparently your little motor draws more current than your LED. That aside. It sounds like what you want/need is a One Shot multivibrator where a fast button press results in an output of set duration. You don't mention a duration? You can build (roll your own) or buy an inexpensive timing module. Using a 555 timer circuits are popular. A Google of " one shot multivibrator timer modules " and similar phrases should get you some hits. My suggestion is a one-shot be it build or buy.

Ron

sunsetroomrain

Joined Mar 11, 2022
I ended up using one of these and it triggers but the dc motor im connecting on the right side doesn't spin at all. What I have going on is a 9v battery connected into a bread board then a wire coming from the power of the 9v on the bread board to the top left and a wire connected to the ground of the 9v on the battery going to the bottom left and a wire in the middle left that triggers from a signal from a push button to the middle left. (signal works because countdown enables on this module when the button is pressed) and on the right side i've tried 1 wire in the breadboard ground from the 9v from the dc motor and the other wire of the dc motor in the middle right or even top right of the module with a power wire coming from the 9v on the breadboard on the bottom right but it doesn't ever trigger the dc motor like it's not getting any power. I've tried taking the wire from the bottom right and touching the middle right where the wire from the dc motor is connected and it does not trigger. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks!

sunsetroomrain

Joined Mar 11, 2022

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Interpreting the information you have provided so far requires a lot of guesswork, meaning there is still not enough information. A wiring diagram with the connections labeled would probably be very helpful.

For example;

1647478016294.png

sunsetroomrain

Joined Mar 11, 2022
Oh man, not sure if I can do that. That may be a little beyond my league good sir for I am a simple blacksmith, either way, thank you for trying to help me

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I hope you understand the problem. You have an idea of what you are doing in your head, you are asking us if we can identify why it is not behaving as you intend, but we cannot see what you have at this time.

Your diagram doesn't have to be as pretty as the one I posted, but if it can show essentially the same kind information it will help a lot.