Trying to fix lincoln procut 25 plasma cutter

fics

Joined Dec 13, 2015
I'm going to try fixing the inverter board for a Lincoln ProCut 25 plasma cutter...I found the problem, ...(guess the factory installed tie wrap didn't hold it securely) but I can't find the part......googled....no luck...
....Can't find any specs to find an alternative that will work....

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The small circle shows what appears to be a resistor?
Unless this is a secondary winding end, if so you may be able to take one turn off if this is the outer winding, one missing turn should not affect the operation.
Max.

fics

Joined Dec 13, 2015
the small circle is where the secondary winding burnt....didn't know I could take a turn off the winding....awesome!! Thanks Max!!!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I would cut away any burnt board and effect a repair by direct connection if possible, usually calls for a little ingenuity, replace any burnt trace with solid copper conductor.
Burnt board connection often occur due to a unwanted resistance in the joint, i.e. bad connection.
If the original device was not secured to the board properly, it could also be the cause.
Max.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
To me it looks like the power side of the transformer grounded out and cause all that ..My guess would be that it ground to the resistor or E-core( look at last photo where there is damage and burnt plastic with the wire having damaged insulation right next to the area) . I would clean the contacts and area like MaxHeadRoom
said and then measure the transformer to see if it's shorted out ..

fics

Joined Dec 13, 2015
I would cut away any burnt board and effect a repair by direct connection if possible, usually calls for a little ingenuity, replace any burnt trace with solid copper conductor.
Burnt board connection often occur due to a unwanted resistance in the joint, i.e. bad connection.
If the original device was not secured to the board properly, it could also be the cause.
Max.
Thanks again Max.....cut away burnt stuff and used solid copper wire connection to board....and .....plasma cutter is working again!!!!