Trying to find a switch

musicalavtech

Joined Mar 23, 2012
I'm looking for a 2p3t shorting slide switch, panel mount. It should work in my guitar to short the signal to ground in pos 2 and 3, and connect battery neg in pos 1 and 2. Without any dropout between positions. I've looked online, but am not seeing what I want. Can anyone steer me to the right path?

2p3tsw.jpg

musicalavtech

Joined Mar 23, 2012
Thanks for trying. The first link has 2p4t. The second link doesn't spec shorting. Digikey doesn't have a schematic or a panel mount style.

I've done a lot of searching prior to asking here. Just not finding what I have in mind. Is my picture not accurate? Does it need to be re-worked? I've seen schematics for shorting style switches but I don't have one handy to test.

ci139

Joined Jul 11, 2016
but you always can use multiple switches of the other type . . or with the lesser poles to gain same functionality (the levers tied together) - or build the damn thing yourself ← the bad thing with such is the wear to contacts , choosing the right materials , setting up the construction scheme . . .

TeeKay6

Joined Apr 20, 2019
Thanks for trying. The first link has 2p4t. The second link doesn't spec shorting. Digikey doesn't have a schematic or a panel mount style.

I've done a lot of searching prior to asking here. Just not finding what I have in mind. Is my picture not accurate? Does it need to be re-worked? I've seen schematics for shorting style switches but I don't have one handy to test.
This is what a shorting slide sw means to me. Referring to my sketch. When the armature (the moving contact) is in the leftmost position, position 1, terminals 1 & 2 are joined. As the armature is moved to the right, the armature first contacts terminal 3 (joining 1-2-3) and then breaks contact with terminal 1 (joining 2-3). That is position 2. As the armature continues to the right, the armature first contacts terminal 4 (joining 2-3-4) and then breaks contact with terminal 2 (joining 3-4). That is position 3. That is, a shorting switch makes a new contact before releasing the old contact. Is that what you want?Shorting Sw.PNG

musicalavtech

Joined Mar 23, 2012
Yes it is. That's how I knew it to be as well. It seems as finding exactly that in a double pole version, leads to other design styles with a common lug.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Ifyou give us more information about the application it is probable that your solution will be found, which nmay not be exactly what you are looking for. The function that you seek is available in a 3 position miniature toggle switch that has been made by switchcraft for many years. 2-pole double throw, 3 position. One side shifts when the toggle moves left from center, the other pole shifts when it moves right from center. That might provide the functionality you are seeking, I think this is a fairly good guess.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
The shorting switch style, as per post #7, is also known as 'make-before-break'. Have you tried that as a search term?

peterdeco

Joined Oct 8, 2019
What's wrong with the switch? My friend's guitar switch was staticy and fixed it by spraying it with WD40, although contact cleaner is best.

musicalavtech

Joined Mar 23, 2012
The shorting switch style, as per post #7, is also known as 'make-before-break'. Have you tried that as a search term?
I did try that as well.

What's wrong with the switch? My friend's guitar switch was staticy and fixed it by spraying it with WD40, although contact cleaner is best.
Dropouts and popping.

Ifyou give us more information about the application it is probable that your solution will be found, which nmay not be exactly what you are looking for. The function that you seek is available in a 3 position miniature toggle switch that has been made by switchcraft for many years. 2-pole double throw, 3 position. One side shifts when the toggle moves left from center, the other pole shifts when it moves right from center. That might provide the functionality you are seeking, I think this is a fairly good guess.
The idea is, that I can leave my guitar plugged in at the jack for longer times, when I might not be playing it, or if I forgot to unplug it. It would reduce potential drain on the battery for the onboard preamp.

Position 1 would be normal playing with the preamp on. Pos 2 would be shorting the signal to ground so no sound comes out. The preamp would still be on. This position is only used as a pass to pos 3 that would still have the signal shorted to ground, but the battery would be disconnected from the preamp. Without a mbb (shorting style) switch, there would be pops and cracks in between switching positions. I suppose a DPDT MBB switch could work as well. Maybe that would make life easier...Any thoughts?

I did see that some caps and resistors could be wired in to achieve that, but that's not the first choice.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Don’t use WD40. That is a petroleum based lubricant, water displacement penetrating, rust prevention oil.

Use a contact or control cleaner spray. Don’t get it on the guitar body.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The miniature toggle switch that I described will provide exactly the functions that you describe. It used to be listed as a "special function" switch in the DigiKey catalog. And because it is totally enclosed it will last a very long time. An added advantage is that it mounts with a round hole, much easier to make than that rectangular hole for a slider switch. But you may need to deepen the cavity in the guitar body a bit to fit the deeper size.

Is this for a replacement or a new installation?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
After a while my Fender guitars develop noisy pickup selector switches.
I simply go to a popular antique electronic supply website and order replacement switches.

musicalavtech

Joined Mar 23, 2012
Feeling rich? RS have this offering :) :-
View attachment 196751

..... or how about this DP3T MBB one listed by Digikey ?
Just 1.55 per unit. I could sell the rest. Haha!

The miniature toggle switch that I described will provide exactly the functions that you describe. It used to be listed as a "special function" switch in the DigiKey catalog. And because it is totally enclosed it will last a very long time. An added advantage is that it mounts with a round hole, much easier to make than that rectangular hole for a slider switch. But you may need to deepen the cavity in the guitar body a bit to fit the deeper size.

Is this for a replacement or a new installation?
For a new install. A low profile slider would work well, as a toggle switch could be accidentally bumped during playing.