Trying to find a name of a part..

tom356

Joined Nov 9, 2017
Hi

Im looking for a electronics part, it needs to be flat but when power is supplied to it a stem(shaft) will come out, i need that stem(shaft) to come out to push something else..
Can anyone tell me the name of something like this or a link were to find one..
Attached is a drawing of how it works..

thank you..

Attachments

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
This resembles a solenoid or a linear actuator, however I've never seen one configured to be so flat. "Pancake solenoid"?

Do you need it to be rectangular as you've drawn it, or would round be OK?

tom356

Joined Nov 9, 2017
This resembles a solenoid or a linear actuator, however I've never seen one configured to be so flat. "Pancake solenoid"?

Round is fine.. thank you

tom356

Joined Nov 9, 2017

Would you have a link to one, I cant seem to find any..
thank you

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The problem is that electric requires the armature or actuator enter the coil, not be expelled from it as in a hydraulic pancake cylinder can.
So it would need one that is normally extended and then contracted under power.
Maybe consider pneumatic?

Max.

Last edited:

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
How flat is flat?
How much room is "not a lot of room"?
How much force do you need ?
or what are you trying to lift.. How much does it weigh? and how fast do you need to move it from point A to point B

Give real numbers....

tom356

Joined Nov 9, 2017
How flat is flat?
How much room is "not a lot of room"?
How much force do you need ?
or what are you trying to lift.. How much does it weigh? and how fast do you need to move it from point A to point B

Give real numbers....
Thank you, it can be up to 3' round or square but height would ideal 1".
I was thinking maybe something with a spring arm with 4-8Kg Force

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Thank you, it can be up to 3' round or square but height would ideal 1".
I was thinking maybe something with a spring arm with 4-8Kg Force
One approach would be to place small solenoids, say 6 of them, under a plate. But my first thought was a mechanical solution. Mount a regular solenoid or linear actuator horizontally and use a lever/cam or gear arrangement to convert the solenoid motion into a vertical displacement of the plate. Sort of a build-your-own pancake solenoid.

The devices I would suggest are piezo electric tabs or the round piezo electric "speaker or buzzer". These devices change shape when a voltage is placed across them. I recall some older devices like this that could move air for cooling.

tom356

Joined Nov 9, 2017
The devices I would suggest are piezo electric tabs or the round piezo electric "speaker or buzzer". These devices change shape when a voltage is placed across them. I recall some older devices like this that could move air for cooling.
Thank you, do you have a link for one can seem to find it..
That what im looking for something will expand when power is applied..