Trying to find a battery that would power this machine

joshgates

Joined Aug 9, 2021
Hi,

I don’t know much about electronics but I recently bought a tennis ball machine(match mate trainer 3000) with an ac input. I was planning to buy a portable power station with a 110V/200 watt pure sine wave AC outlet to power it. However, one of the motors had a said 90 V and 35 amps (picture below) Now, I’m pretty sure these types of batteries won’t power it. Does anybody what battery I should buy to power this? Thanks for the help.08DE392C-A897-440A-AE4F-09421D45430D.jpeg

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I don’t know how I didn’t see that before.
A person with an engineering, math, or science background would have labeled it as 0.35A so it would be impossible to make that mistake.
Just wondering, do you how long a 110V/200 W battery would power something like that.
It doesn't work that way. If a motor has a nominal voltage of 90V, you would drive it with 90V. Higher and lower might work, but it might not give the desired behavior.

90V@0.35A is 31.5W. Most batteries are rated in amp hours (Ah) and I think that applies for a load of 0.1C.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
It would take 8- 12-Volt Sealed-Lead-Acid Batteries (SLA) to create the required Voltage.
Now You have to calculate the Amp/Hour-Capacity requirements.
0.35-Amps is close enough to ~1/3, so 8- 1-Amp/Hour Batteries would operate it for about ~3-hours.
8- 2- Amp/Hour Batteries would operate it for about ~6-hours.

It would be more practical to use a single Car- Battery
with a custom designed Voltage Inverter to create the required ~90-Volts.

This supposes that the Tag actually says 0.35-Amps.
If this is the Motor that actually launches the Balls, and not a simple Ball-Conveyer/Feeder,
it may well pull ~35-Amps,
and that's a completely different story.
There has to be a more powerful Motor on this Machine that actually throws the Balls.

zophas

Joined Jul 16, 2021
This supposes that the Tag actually says 0.35-Amps.
If this is the Motor that actually launches the Balls, and not a simple Ball-Conveyer/Feeder,
it may well pull ~35-Amps,
and that's a completely different story.
There has to be a more powerful Motor on this Machine that actually throws the Balls.
That motor does have a small gearbox on it. It could be driving some kind spring loaded mechanical contraption to launch the balls.

Lo_volt

Joined Apr 3, 2014
Looking at Match Mate's website, it appears that some of their machines use an external power supply to power them that is plugged into a regular outlet. Do you have the one for your machine?

What brand and model AC power station were you looking at?

zophas

Joined Jul 16, 2021
Just trying to power it and plug it in to a battery (AC) with as little money as possible. If anybody has any suggestions let me know. Appreciate all the feedback. Thanks.
I think the machine is designed to run on 115v AC. The motor runs on 90v DC. There must be a AC to DC power supply in the machine to power the motor. Plugging the machine into a battery will not work.

joshgates

Joined Aug 9, 2021
there is no battery in the machine, it has an AC chord to plug it in an AC outlet. I’m just wondering what battery could power it. By the way, there are about 3 motors in the machine, that picture was one of them, specifically applying to horizontal oscillation.

/Maybe your bet is to use a UPS (Uninteruptable Power Supply).
They are sized in VA and not Watts.
It has to handle the starting current of the motors.
That is basically the Wire resistance. P=(V*V
The controllers may reduce the starting current required.

Make sure the UPS can be turned on when the power is off. Some UPS's are not compatible for whole house. generators A generator is also an option. There is a Honda model that's pretty quiet Some can be paralled to increase current, Some have 12V DC and 120V AC.

A UPS might not give you enough time to play. There is a product that measures energy useage.

Lo_volt

Joined Apr 3, 2014
Have you tried plugging it in to see if it works? If so then the Progeny portable power station might work. It's 300 watts, so you'd be running at its limits. I'd suggest going with one that's a little higher than 300 watts.

Alternatively, a generator is an option:

https://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/super-quiet-generators

None of these options are cheap.

I have one other question. Is there an available outlet within 100 feet or so that you can plug an extension cord into? That, by far, is the cheapest option for you!

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
The actual power will be about 288 Watts and I would look for at least a 500 Watt inverter. Lets just say 500 watts for now. So if the inverter is driven with a 12 volt SLA battery you are looking at about 42 amps draw, if using a 24 volt battery about 21 Amps so two 100 AH 12 Volt SLA batteries would run the thing for about 5 hours give or take a little. You are looking at expensive batteries and for a 24 VDC inverter system you need two. That should get you 5 hours of run time with plenty of overkill thrown in.

Ron