Trying to find a battery for my dumb little project

CouchWatermelon

Joined Apr 18, 2021
Not much force is needed to close the door but I don't know how much exactly. It's an interior door that is pretty lightweight and this motor is probably overcompensating a bit. It is also probably worth mentioning I didn't use the prototype on the door.
(Also sorry I meant a relay replacing a relay, not a motor)

CouchWatermelon

Joined Apr 18, 2021
I used a 12v relay in the prototype and was just wondering if it would need to be replaced with a different type but I'm mostly just wondering what a good battery is to run the motor at minimum power. Sorry if I was confusing.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
You probably want it to be rechargeable? I think a SLA is an option. Very easy to recharge using cheap off-the-shelf chargers. But they're not great for deep discharge. A NiCad may be better for that and is also very easy to recharge.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
How much current will the circuit draw from the battery when not powering the motor?
I assume the motor will only infrequently be powered momentarily to close the door(?).

CouchWatermelon

Joined Apr 18, 2021
Well, I can power the whole Arduino circuit separately with a 9v battery. And yes the motor will only be powered momentarily. I think I know which battery works for me thank you so much for helping.

Last edited:

CouchWatermelon

Joined Apr 18, 2021
Why not just open it against a spring and let the spring close it? The electronics could undo a latch that allows it to close on its own.
I'm having it set up to push my door closed from the hinges but that would work as a separate contraption on the door nob if I want it to open the door.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Looking at the motor- it's a powerful unit, the spec says it can output 337 watts of shaft power.
With no load, it's eating 32 watts- while doing nothing.
You could expect this to draw substantial amperage - 20 to 40 Amps running (Stalled =133 A from the datasheet)
You will need a hefty lead-acid battery or some LiPo cells rated for that kind of current.

The circuit should include some kind of fusing to prevent fire if the thing jams!

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I must be missing something, how does a relay replace a motor to open a door?

Bob
I could be wrong but it is my impression he is currently controlling the motor directly and for the larger motor he intends to control a relay to start the motor insteam.