Trying to decide between using CC3100 and ESP8266 with MSP430FR6989

BrettC

Joined Mar 19, 2022
Originally, I was going to use the CC3100MODBOOST with the MSP430FR6989, but I saw a lot of projects using the ESP8266. I wanted to know if there was a difference in ease of use, and if it is compatible with the MSP430FR6989? I am wanting the MCU to be able to take commands over WiFi with a smartphone application. Also, I'm not sure if there is just an easier method in general to achieve what I wanted to do?

Jon Chandler

Joined Jun 12, 2008
What's your application? An ESP8266 or ESP32 is a pretty powerful microcontroller on its own. You may not even need the MSP430FR6989 for what you're trying to do.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I recommend the ESP32 as the ESP8622 is getting phased out - the two chips (modules) are about the same price but the EsP32 has two cores (one for wifi and one for microcontroler commamds) so there is no lag and you don't have to worry about adding delay commands to check wifi (or risk timeout errors if you forget the delay commands).they run at 80MHz so, with pretty cool PWM control code. The ADC is not perfect snd a drops off a little near zero snd max but otherwise pretty linear in the middle 90%.

Arm_n_Legs

Joined Mar 7, 2007
" Also, I'm not sure if there is just an easier method in general to achieve what I wanted to do? ......."

Yes. It would be easily done using ESP32 in C++ (Arduino IDE) or Micropython.

geekoftheweek

Joined Oct 6, 2013
I checked out your parts out of curiosity just because I have learned a lot that way... I would say an ESP of any variety would be a much better choice. The MSP430 looks like something to check in to sometime (although I'll probably never really have a use for it).

Unless you need some feature of the CC3100 an ESP of any variety would be a better option in my opinion especially price wise. There are a few issues with interrupt latency being irregular and ADC errors as mentioned before. Those duties could easily be handed off to another micro if you can't incorporate everything in the MSP430 and still come out ahead.

There are also libraries already available for the ESPxxx in Arduino IDE for just about everything along with program examples of just about everything online. If you really want to get dirty there is the Espressif-IDF to work with that also seems to be getting a good number of examples online (growing every day).