troubleshootings infared sauna fault

nigeldunkley

Joined Mar 4, 2017
Hello

I purchased this sauna used a couple days ago, and its not turning on..

The previous owner sold it as having only an issue with the fuse, but I have exchanged all fuses, and Im assuming its one of the three components that are running in the rectangular unit mounted on top of the sauna.

I will post all the photos so you are able to see detailed views of everything - I have now ordered a replacement for the power supply (s-35-12) as I cant imagine the transformer would short the entire sauna. internal fuses are all 3 amp, this is the power supply (but the power running from mains is standard 13amp):

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...hing-mode-power-supply/700113_1699513295.html

And from what I can tell there is a sort of voltage regulator on that PSU which has a phillips white screw which is used for adjusting. My guess is that previous owner set it for wrong output and it blew the PSU?

Alternatively there is the main board, but I wouldnt know what to look for, nor how to replace, as it had no particular model number.

I tested current coming from mains to the main board (sorry I dont have technical name for that) and electricity is definitely arriving there, but not sure where (or if) it goes after. I tried to swap one of the kettle lead fuses for the one on the PSU board, and then power on, but as soon as I tripped the power to on it blew the fuse..

image 1 and 2 are overview, image 3 is writing on PSU, image 4 is transformer, image 5 is main board and image 6 is PSU (which I have ordered replacement for).

Thank you for your help!

image1.JPG image2.JPG image3.JPG image4.JPG image5.JPG image6.JPG

nigeldunkley

Joined Mar 4, 2017
running more tests with new fuses, when all fuses are replaced and new, the one that continuously blows when I plug in is circled in light blue.
When that blew the last time it shattered the fuse and the piece circled in green sparked and a piece flew off the top of it, like a chip (see below)

image6_7.jpg

nigeldunkley

Joined Mar 4, 2017
Do you think the pwoblem is def in the PSU? I have already purchased a new one, but dont want to have to replace again if the fault is coming from the main circuit board etc.

thanks

Thats a Switchmode psu, giving 12V out @3.5 amp, i wouldn't bother trying to repair it,just swap it for another one plenty on Ebay or other sites.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
If the psu is blowing up fuses, then you need to check the output voltage with a voltmeter, remove the wires from the 12v output, and test it, that way you will know. Best to order a new one.

nigeldunkley

Joined Mar 4, 2017
Thanks for getting back - just to clarify - The fuse thats blowing isnt 'in' the PSU, its a hub on the main box - It has two red wires -one run from the fuse to the AC live on the PSU, then an alternate wire running all the way over to the main circuit board connected to a to the last fixture in the line with the marking 'CD'

I'll buy a voltmeter and swap out the PSU, however do you think this could also be a circuit board failure?

Thank you!!

image1.JPG image2.JPG

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
The component that sparked and disintegrated looks like a filter capacitor or MOV which is probably connected straight across the mains .If I am correct then no fault further on into then PSU (Or even a short on the output.) could cause this failure. It has probably been damaged by high voltage spikes on the mains. To check this theory you would need to strace the schematic around the mains input as it could also be a themistor to limit the switch on current surge. If it is a thermistor then a fault in the power supply could cause this failure.

Les.

nigeldunkley

Joined Mar 4, 2017
Thanks Dodgydave- So the second photo of the two I posted is where the second wire from the fuse goes (I will repost that photo and the zoomed out photo of the circuit b oard to help place it in context. On the zoomed photo you can see it enters to a position on the circuit board labeled CD - Would that mean that the fuse is supplying the Circuit board as well? Is there a way to test the integrity of the circuit board independent of the PSU prior to installing the new PSU so I dont fry it?

So the fuse is supplying the psu with mains voltage, unless the fuse is supplying another item, it will be the psu, or its output.

Attachments

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
So the fuse is powering two items, looking at the CD terminals, it looks like it goes to a relay contact, which means whatever the relay is powering maybe at fault,

to test the psu remove the 12V output wires, and power it up if its ok the 12V should be there, if its faulty it will blow the fuse or there wont be dc at the output.

Ideally draw the mains circuit path on paper, this will be easier to follow.

nigeldunkley

Joined Mar 4, 2017
Im not super affluent with what goes where as its not my trade, but more of a trial and error - I tried both on the PSU, and not sure which is what...

When I removed the red and black where i have circled with light blue (I removed all four of the cables - maybe it should just be the thinner ones?) the fuse still blows - when I remove the cables that are circled in green, it doesnt - does this in some way answer a question (see image plz)

Thanks againAAE.jpg

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
I am almost certain that the connections circled in green are the mains input to the power supply and the ones circled in blue are the output. The fault must be in the power supply. (Is this the original power supply or the new one ?

Les.

nigeldunkley

Joined Mar 4, 2017
Thanks Les - very helpful to know.

To answer your question I am still using old PS, as Im waiting for new to arrive in post.

There is normally a cover on the PS which gives correspondent labels to where the current comes in and out.
I will post a pik of the cover and give indication of which is what, maybe that will help.

V ADJ would be whats circled in light blue, and L N (AC) is whats in Green.

IMG_7557.JPG

I am almost certain that the connections circled in green are the mains input to the power supply and the ones circled in blue are the output. The fault must be in the power supply. (Is this the original power supply or the new one ?

Les.

nigeldunkley

Joined Mar 4, 2017

nigeldunkley

Joined Mar 4, 2017
As Im getting another PSU today, someone else mentioned to me that perhaps I should be using a bigger fuse at the point where it keeps blowing since it is powering multiple 3amp kettle leads. Should I be using a 5 or 10 slow blow?

Thanks

Yes you can go bigger in wattage,..