Triggering multiple relays with a single momentary switch

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Switches are nice. They control certain ranges of power (amperage times voltage, also known as watts). You haven't told us how much current will be passing through your "Switches", be they relays or electronics. Everything has a limit. Usually if you exceed the limits you have smoke leakage. Smoke is a bad thing when it comes to electronics, so other than stating you have audio signals, we have no idea how much current you want / need to control. Clarity will help. Also, you said 200 relays. MrChips has already stated that this approach would be VERY expensive and consume a LOT of power. The 74HC4066SMD is a good solution to cost and power requirements, but there's a limit to how much current a 74HC4066SMD switch can handle. I'm not sure how to interpret the data sheet but it seems to be suggesting that you can switch 25 mA (0.025 amps). IF you're switching pre-amplified signals you might be OK. If you're trying to switch a fully amplified signal - say from an amp to a speaker - chances are you'll blow the heck out of that chip.

200 switches? I'm not seeing 200 speakers on any amp that I've ever encountered. Maybe you're switching LED's for some visual effect. I know you have a million dollar idea and don't want to share it with us but you're more likely to get the help you need if you give us a little clarity on what you're doing. I for one (speaking for myself) am not out to steal your idea(s). I have some ideas of my own that I like to keep a close guard on as well. Years ago I came up with a safety device for earthquakes. Never made it to market with my idea and Japan came up with something similar but much more advanced than my basic idea. So I lost out on that one. But likely others would have copied my idea anyway and I would have NEVER been able to afford a legal battle over patent rights.

Whether you share more with us or not - that's your choice. If you want better help then you need to be clear(er) with what you're attempting to do.

gsnow

Joined Aug 16, 2017
Yes, which is why when you made the analog switches recommendation I abandoned the relays, gladly.

So I like the last recommendation you made as well, but is there a similar option including the make before break feature mentioned above?

Thanks again everyone for replies. I can solder guitars and true bypass Loopers with the best of them, but I've no experience and extremely spotty knowledge when it comes to IC's and such.