Tricky problem.

Technician164

Joined Oct 9, 2021
Hello, I'm designing a small battery (7Ah) protection circuit with a load of a wifi router, at charging state of battery i have 13~14v which i pass through a lm7812 Voltage regulator in order to get a 12v output for my router... the issue i face rn is that at discharging state the input at the regulator is 12v with a 2.5v drop it becomes unacceptable as an output, hence i place a 12v relay with the command connected from the positive of the battery charger and i placed a diode after that node in which battery voltage doesn't get back to the said control of the relay from the battery, the problem i had with such solution is that the charger wouldn't read the battery after placing a diode between them, i figured a new solution in which i implemented an outer 220v ac command input into a small 220v relay inside the protection box but such solution makes it uneasy and not convenient in addition to the risk of implementing ac connections in a dc based board... if anyone has a better solution (simpler one) i'm interested to read about it, thank you for your time and have a nice day.

Technician164

Joined Oct 9, 2021
Welcome to AAC!
You could use a low-dropout regulator, such as mentioned here.
Thank you for your invaluable comment, such regulator is exactly what i need although i may need to search for a higher current tolerance up to 3A, but in general this is the exact solution to the issue i have here, thanks again, have a nice day :)

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Thread title police here.
Please try to post a title that gives the reader some idea of the content of the thread Instead of “Tricky problem”.