Tricks and tips Y2024

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
This is the sixth thread with this name I have indexed the first 2 in my personal index, Wendy's Index . To keep it from being closed prematurely, I am setting the following rules:

1. Do not comment just for the sake of posting. Only posts containing a trick or tip will be allowed. This thread will be heavily moderated, anything posted here that do not meet this criteria in the opinion of the moderators will be deleted. If you have a question start your own thread. If you really like the idea use the "like" tag (button).

2. Any repeats of someone else's ideas from this or the previous tricks and tips threads will also be deleted.

3. At the end of this year This thread will be locked and a new one started next year.

Be aware of my comment about being heavily moderated. This thread is not meant to be a dumping ground as has happened in the past.

Electronic Tricks and Tips Y2008
Electronic Tricks and Tips Y2012
Electronic Tricks and Tips Y2022
Electronic Tricks and tips Y2023

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
When you have a standard self tapping screw that has ripped out from the hole, the common practice is to fill the hole with a wooden matchstick or dowel before reinserting the screw.

1704728616816.png

A quick repair is to fill the hole with cotton wool and soak the cotton wool with super glue (cyanoacrylate). The super glue reacts with the cotton wool and hardens almost instantly. The hole is now ready to take the self tapping screw.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The small 315mA fuse on a DMM (digital multimeter) is often blown because the meter leads were applied across a voltage source while the meter was set in current measurement range.

1704729256682.png

In order to correctly measure current with the DMM, the circuit must be broken and the meter must be placed in series to bridge the break in the circuit.

To avoid blowing the fuse, avoid using the current measurement range. Instead, set the meter to measure voltage and measure the voltage across a resistor already in the circuit. If there is no resistor present, break the circuit and insert your own resistor (called a shunt resistor). The value of the shunt resistor should be lower than 1/10 the total (or net) resistance of the circuit.

Use Ohm's Law to calculate the loop current:

I = V / R