TRIAC as a switch

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
Hello all,

I have an old Clockwork Timer with 1 NO contact. I wish to use this for a timed operation of Lights/Fans/Waterpump.

Can I use a Triac as a Switch for AC by shorting its Gate to Anode 1 as shown? ( the Snubber is not shown). Or are there better ways to do this?

My constraint is that there is just 1 NO contact from the clockwork timer and would prefer not to use anything that calls for a power supply.

upload_2018-6-5_15-42-55.png

Thank you

Attachments

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
This will work but it would be better to include a 180Ω resistor in series with the switch.

BUT:
1. The switch contacts on the timer will be switching mains voltage - are they rated for that?
2. The switch contacts will be live and so present a shock hazard if they can be touched. If either of them is connected to a metal frame or case of the timer then that frame or case will also present a shock hazard.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Hello all,

I have an old Clockwork Timer with 1 NO contact. I wish to use this for a timed operation of Lights/Fans/Waterpump.

Can I use a Triac as a Switch for AC by shorting its Gate to Anode 1 as shown? ( the Snubber is not shown). Or are there better ways to do this?

My constraint is that there is just 1 NO contact from the clockwork timer and would prefer not to use anything that calls for a power supply.

View attachment 153683

Thank you
Use a 1k resistor between the Gate and MT2 terminals to trigger the triac.

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
Thank you all.

This will work but it would be better to include a 180Ω resistor in series with the switch.

BUT:
1. The switch contacts on the timer will be switching mains voltage - are they rated for that?
2. The switch contacts will be live and so present a shock hazard if they can be touched. If either of them is connected to a metal frame or case of the timer then that frame or case will also present a shock hazard.
Yes, the unit is from an old spin drier and was for 220 Volt operation.

Use a 1k resistor between the Gate and MT2 terminals to trigger the triac.
Thank you. You preempted my second question !!!

I decide on this.upload_2018-6-6_10-11-57.png