Tremolo control - input signals seems to be riding the output

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
LTSPICE - .asc file, model and sub attached.

In this basic tremolo control, I cannot avoid what seems to be the input signal riding the output.

As is, even if the JFet is cut (??) I still get the equivalent of the input signal, at the output.

Sure it is more than 100% modulation; done on purpose to put in evidence that the JFet is cut.

Around this for many hours, I supose I am wrongly biasing the opamp but cannot see where or how.

Comments will be appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited:

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
It's not a bias problem, Agustin. When J1 is switched off, U2 becomes a ~unity-gain amplifier; hence its output ~equals the signal at its non-inverting input.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
It's not a bias problem, Agustin. When J1 is switched off, U2 becomes a ~unity-gain amplifier; hence its output ~equals the signal at its non-inverting input.
Yes Alec, a follower!

Way too obvious now (as usual)...:(

Gracias for replying.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Agustin, you can use your method of controlling the amp gain with a JFET if you follow U2 with another opamp to subtract the source signal from U2 output.
Tremolo.gif

Attachments

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Agustin, you can use your method of controlling the amp gain with a JFET if you follow U2 with another opamp to subtract the source signal from U2 output.
View attachment 80059
Wow, nice solution Alec.

Gracias for taking the pain of getting a solution. Good reasoning thus a clever way to solve my "problem" (in fact kind of an uncomplete design).

Myself, I did different, not messing anymore with gain but processing the signal at the input. I am learning a LOT of things but it takes time.

The attached .plt includes the settings for displaying data and the other is the current .asc in force.

Please, have a look.

Attachments

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Looks good. If you wanted a much greater tremolo depth (which I doubt) you would need to increase the value of R14.
Yes, right. It took me some time to realize what is the actual difference of using a Jeft as part of a divider and in series with the signal. Always learning.

Now playing to build a proper envelope in a simple way.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Here's another way of making a voltage divider to control tone amplitude, using two opto-isolators connected in inverse-parallel. Attack/decay and tremolo waveforms modulate the opto-diode current and hence the effective resistance provided by the opto-transistors.
BellSoundGenerator.gif

Attachments

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Here's another way of making a voltage divider to control tone amplitude, using two opto-isolators connected in inverse-parallel. Attack/decay and tremolo waveforms modulate the opto-diode current and hence the effective resistance provided by the opto-transistors.
View attachment 80245
Quite compact Alec, and creative.

Meantime, few minutes before entering here I completed (in LTSpice) the basic circuit to generate the sound of a chime. I was stuck with reducing the amplitude of an envelope and shifting its level down. Now, I am convinced that in a single opamp stage you cannot attenuate without inverting until I recalled the trick of the divider at the input. Just two resistors. :p