Treadmill fuse blowing

tmn

Joined Feb 9, 2015
Please can someone here offer some advice

I have a Raleigh Power Runner treadmill. The last time I went to use it it rapidly stated to speed up before cutting out. The control panel still works and so to does the incliner. However, the belt no longer moves.

After opening it up I noticed the treadmill fuse (not the mains plug fuse) had blown. I replaced the fuse - the motor begins to rotate, I see a spark coming from the motor and then it cuts out and the fuse has blown again.

I inspected the controller board and I can't see anything suspicious

Has anyone got any idea of what might be the problem might be, please?

Please see attached pic of controller board

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Sound to me a bit like the drive power devices are shorted?
Try the motor on an automotive battery to see if it runs smooth with no sparking etc, both directions.
Max.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Looks like it would be relatively easy to remove the motor brushes (one brush cap is in the picture) and look them over. Also looks easy to remove the M= and M- leads from the board disconnecting the motor. Remove the M+ and M- leads and power it up. Does it blow the fuse? If less motor the fuses blow I would look board, if not I would look motor.

Ron

tmn

Joined Feb 9, 2015
I tried testing the motor with a drill battery.

The first time I tried it I got the same spark. However, the second and third time I tried it worked normally (i.e. without a spark)

Anyone got any futher suggestions?

thanks

tmn

Joined Feb 9, 2015
I tried it again connected to the mains and the fuse blew again.

I was reluctant to inspect the brushes as I don't know much about motors.....however, I will have to check them now

thanks

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Disconnect the motor and see if the fuse still blows, if so it is the motor control devices, SCR's, Mosfets or IGBT's etc.
If the fuse remains in, test the motor on a automotive battery source as I suggested. Drill battery does not have the capacity.
Max.

tmn

Joined Feb 9, 2015
When I disconnected the motor the fuse did not blow. So it looks like it is a problem with the motor.

I have now removed the motor. The brushes look okay - see attached photos. Has anyone got any further suggestions?

Should I attempt to further dismantle it?

I do know of a shop that would be willing to look at it for me, give me a quote for repair (if possible) and then let me decide if I want to go ahead with the repair

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Did you try it on an automotive battery as I suggested?
A limited test, but often will show any obvious characteristics.
The other possibility is it could still be the board, you stated it sped up before failing, this shows it could be something turning the motor full on, if so it will blow the fuse on a good motor because the motor cannot react that fast, especially with a large flywheel.
T.M.'s are designed for slow start.
Max.

IamJatinah

Joined Oct 22, 2014
Motor control board. brushes cannot cause runaway, the HEXFET is shorted now, disallowing the motor rail. Contact jatinah electronics if you need repairs.

tmn

Joined Feb 9, 2015
I got an electrical company to look at it. They inspected the motor and said the armature had gone. They said I would be looking at about £300 for a rewind so I decided to get a new treadmill.

I put the working parts of the old treadmill up on ebay.
Thanks for everyone's feedback

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
@Anna haq ir Welcome to AAC.

This thread is over four years old. The right way to go about it is to open your own thread and ask the questions you need answers to.

You're applauded for having researched for similar threads. You'll find a lot of help here.

If you've followed the original thread you saw some suggestions. One primary suggestion was to remove (unplug) the motor from the circuit and then power the system. IF the fuse still blows then you know you have a good motor but a problem in the electronics. IF the fuse does not blow then the motor is suspect. You can test the motor with a 12 volt car battery. If there's a problem with the motor you'll be able to post your findings and someone here will likely have a good answer for you. I've seen @MaxHeadRoom answer a LOT of questions about treadmills. My opinion is that he knows a lot about them. ME? I've stripped several I've gotten for free. But that was a while ago. Currently I run a treadmill motor with the electronics to power my bandsaw. I have what is likely one of the only variable speed bandsaws around. I used the motor because I didn't want to spend $180 for a new motor for my bandsaw.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
@Anna haq ir . Currently I run a treadmill motor with the electronics to power my bandsaw. I have what is likely one of the only variable speed bandsaws around. I used the motor because I didn't want to spend $180 for a new motor for my bandsaw.
To convert my bandsaw some time ago I picked up a Universal motor that was used on a T.M. together with a variable speed controller. it had the Motorola TDA1085 that incorporates a small tach feedback for precise Triac control.
Worked pretty slick.
Max.