Travel Time

Discussion in 'General Science' started by BR-549, Jan 11, 2018 at 6:23 PM.

1. BR-549

Thread Starter Distinguished Member

Sep 22, 2013
  2. Glenn Holland

Dec 26, 2014
  3. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Distance travel.

4. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Those are strange ways to analyze the data, and useless in my opinion. The premise is that being near an urban center is good and this analysis shows how long it takes you to get to one. That makes sense for a few resources like big hospitals but it's not how I view travel at all, and in fact I thought at first these charts were showing just the opposite - how it takes you forever to get anywhere if you're near urban congestion.

I view urban traffic congestion as an enormous social cost. What do I care if I'm only a couple miles from a hospital if it takes over an hour to get there because of traffic?

killivolt likes this.
  5. Titanpick

Sep 9, 2017
    Bike travel :)

6. killivolt

Distinguished Member

Jan 10, 2010
    I find this interesting because many people here are world travelers from what I've read on the Forum. However, traveling to countries that do not posses many people that can provide necessary blood for a Caucasian average anglo O+, traveling to middle eastern countries becomes an issue if you have any need for blood transfusion. Although I can give plasma, I can receive plasma from most all groups but only blood from O+ or O- for transfusion.

kv

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018 at 12:51 AM
  7. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    It shows how going to an unfamiliar place can be risky, because you don’t even know what the risks are, let alone how to mitigate them. Locals have grown up learning to manage the local risks.

Regarding the charts, I think they want to imply that the dark areas are somehow worse because they’re far from an urban area. I’m not convinced. Being far from highly concentrated other people has definite safety advantages.

killivolt likes this.
  8. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Disadvantage. My former company's travel department would warn us about some destinations -if we book a hotel room near a customer in certain rural areas if there were poor or inadequate medical facilities within 45-minutes, no ambulance services, or no 911 service or whatever. That service went away as travel became self-service but employees still ran into more troubles (which escalated into bigger troubles) when traveling in rural areas with few services. Yes, there are still some areas without 911 service today!

killivolt likes this.
  9. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    There are risks, they’re just different. Is it really more dangerous on the whole to live in a rural area? I doubt it. Farming is dangerous but that’s different

10. BR-549

Thread Starter Distinguished Member

Sep 22, 2013
    I think it shows how quickly you can be officially rescued.

11. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    From...?