Transmission Line Help Please

M.Obaidi

Joined Aug 20, 2012
Hi Guys
I'm new here and i wonder if you can help me with my problem
i have a sheet of questions that i can't solve and i need your help to tell me the name of the book that these questions are brought from ..
i'll put one of them here and if you can solve it then give me the answer please or the name of the book.. thank you alot

Q. A typical open-wire telephone line has an attenuation of 0.0050 neper per mile at 1000 cps, while a typical loaded telephone cable has an attenuation of 0.050 neper/mile at this frequency. For Each of these lines, compute the lenght which will give an attenuation of 10 db.

Thanks

cork_ie

Joined Oct 8, 2011
Out of interest folks - as Neper and dB are logarithmic units, does it follow that if there is X Neper attenuation/mile at a certain frequency that for n miles the attenuation is nX Neper? or is the math a little more complex than that?

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
Out of interest folks - as Neper and dB are logarithmic units, does it follow that if there is X Neper attenuation/mile at a certain frequency that for n miles the attenuation is nX Neper? or is the math a little more complex than that?
It's as simple as that, which is why people like logarithmic scales for measurements like this.