Transistors

domandrzejczuk

Joined Nov 19, 2007
Just doing a homework problem and i need someone to refresh my memory as to under what conditions is a npn transistor turned off, and under what conditions is it in saturation mode?

domandrzejczuk

Joined Nov 19, 2007
I'm still not sure if i have this correct. I have a npn transistor where the base is connected to some voltage source vin to a 100k resistorand across a diode. The emitter is connected to ground with no resistor, and the collector is connected to some power source Vcc and goes across a 27k resistor. How would i figure out the voltages for vin and Vcc so that the transistor is in saturation mode?

I'm still not sure if i have this correct. I have a npn transistor where the base is connected to some voltage source vin to a 100k resistorand across a diode. The emitter is connected to ground with no resistor, and the collector is connected to some power source Vcc and goes across a 27k resistor. How would i figure out the voltages for vin and Vcc so that the transistor is in saturation mode?
yes.the transistor is go to saturation mode

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Transistors are really current devices. Place some voltage on the collector resistor for Vcc. Vary the voltage on the end of the 100K resistor. Measure the voltage at the collector. When the current through the base resistor is large enough, the collector voltage will be essentially 0. That means the transistor is in saturation. If the base current decreases, then the voltage between the collector and the 27K resistor will start to increase from 0.