Transient protection on CANH and CANL on Arduino

john2k

Joined Nov 14, 2019
I'm planning to put an Arduino Due project that has two CAN Buses and i'm planning to connect the first CAN bus (CAN0) to my car's can bus system and only listen and read messages. Then based on a filter, if a certain message is received then transmit that on the second CAN bus (CAN1) which is like a virtual can bus with only 1 device (instrument cluster) connected. I have a drawing below of how i'm planning to link it up so far but need advice and help on how I can add Transient protection?

From what I understand, if I connect the CANH and CANL lines of the first transceiver module to my car's can bus system. Even though i will only be listening for data, if the cars CAN bus "sends" a transient into the transceiver module and the module does not handle the transient as an automotive designed module would and it destroys the transceiver which then in turn creates a short between the two CAN lines and all the other nodes are stopped from communicating with each other which practically shuts the entire canbus down.

So i'm looking for some sort of solution to:

1. Prevent transient going from the car to the module via the CANH and CANL in the first place
2. In the event that the transceiver on the module did somehow blow and was creating a short between the two CAN lines, somehow prevent this from being transferred back to the entire car's network.

I've read something about the PESD1CAN but now sure how that will help and if it will help for both situations?

Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks

Last edited: