Transformerless AC Mains circuits.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
My understanding was that transformerless non isolated AC mains circuits were a major no-no. Yet when I look at this thread with a focus on post #30 there was apparently a rule change I am not aware of why this circuit is OK? Maybe I am just missing something?

Ron

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
And they still are, unless the circuit in question is fully self-contained and has no external connections - as does that thread and its predecessor.. They are power for an embedded & sealed IoT device . Most mains powered plug-in wireless door bell sounders are similar, for example.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi Ron,
The T&C were updated a while ago.
Eric
Clip:
  • Restricted topics. The following topics are considered "out of bounds" and will result in your thread being closed without question:
    • Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
    • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
    • Jammers intended for actual use in other than legal academic contexts
    • Amateur/homemade rail guns and other high-energy projectile devices
  • If You come across a thread or post discussing any of the above topics please report the thread so We can close, and if necessary remove, the offending thread/posts.
  • Safety & Closing of Threads. While everyone is responsible for their own safety, the moderating staff, on a case by case basis, will close discussions if they get the impression that one of the members appears unwilling or unable to appreciate the risks in what they are attempting.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
And they still are, unless the circuit in question is fully self-contained and has no external connections - as does that thread and its predecessor.. They are power for an embedded & sealed IoT device . Most mains powered plug-in wireless door bell sounders are similar, for example.
The circuit in question is measuring 120 VAC 60 Hz AC mains power. It's not where the voltage being monitored is going but where it is coming from, originates.

Ron