Transformer on PSU question

surfline

Joined Aug 12, 2009
Hi,

Attached is a picture of a PSU that outputs 12 Volts. The front of the picture contains what looks like a transformer. I wanted to know exactly what type these are called or why they are used because they are also found right before the DC output. Why would you use a transformer with a filtered dc input and a DC output? Are these just two inductors wrapped around the same core to reduce noise / filter on the power and ground line? What device would that be called?

Thanks,

Surfline

Attachments

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
The device shown looks to be an inductor that is part of an input noise filter, The yellow box capacitor next to it is part of the filter network. The inductor makes a high resistance to voltage spikes, while the capacitor provides a low resistance path to ground.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Actually, I'd say it's a toroidal transformer that's part of an offline flyback-type switching supply. Finding the part numbers on some of the ICs would help to confirm or deny this SWAG (Scientific Wild-A.. Guess)

It's labelled as "L4", but you can see under the clear mounting compound that it definitely has two windings, which would make it a transformer. There is also what appears to be a piece of fiberglass separating the two windings

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Could it be a common mode choke. I have seen the same before the rectifier at the primary side on medical switch mode PSU

Last edited: