Transformer for full-wave rectification

Dee JJE

Joined Nov 5, 2016
I am having trouble trying to design for a high current supply to supply multiple DC loads. The primary side of the transformer needs to be 120VAC wall outlet voltage and the secondary side needs 12VDC at 30A after rectification to power everything. The highest rated transformer I have found is 250VA Toroidal transformer (rated at 12VDC with 20A current). Not sure what to do about this. Anyone experienced this problem?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Note that a transformer with a full-wave rectifier-capacitor rectifier output needs to be derated close to 50% due to the high RMS peak currents from the rectifier filter.
Those to have a 30A DC output from the rectifier output, the AC RMS rating of the transformer should be near 60A.

Dee JJE

Joined Nov 5, 2016
Would it be possible to build a supply like this without a transformer? Otherwise I like that link you showed, Thanks.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Would it be possible to build a supply like this without a transformer? Otherwise I like that link you showed, Thanks.
It would violate the TOS for this site to even discuss such a possibility; never mind the fact that it would be extremely unsafe.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
AnTek would have no problem supplying this size of Toroidal, 800/1kva is common, he also lists on ebay as Jonango.
Also torioids are easily modified if the windings are not exactly as needed.
You only need ~9VAC if 12vdc is needed.
Max.