the efficiency of single phase 220/35 volt transformer on a certain resistive load is about 66% but as i increase resistive load, efficiency goes decreasing.... why its happening???
If the load resistance is increased to finally become an open circuit there will be input power due to magnetization losses but no output power, at which condition the efficiency would be zero percent.
power engineer said:- the efficiency of single phase 220/35 volt transformer on a certain resistive load is about 66% but as i increase resistive load, efficiency goes decreasing.... why its happening???
n= VsIs / VpIpOn what basis are you calculating the efficiency, or are you measuring it?
What is the regulation % of the transformer?
Don't start carving this in a brass plaque, but...the AC impedance is the controlling factor for the bulk of the intended energy transfer, but, as I understand it, inductance does not dissipate energy. Energy lost in a transformer is going to show up as heat and that comes from current X resistance in the windings and mis-directed (eddy) current in the iron of the core (times the ohmic resistance of the iron). I think you just got a misplaced factor in your definition between intentional power flow and unintentional power flow.It's my understanding that in most transformers, the AC component of impedance is relatively larger than the DC resistance of the coils. So while both contribute, the DC resistance is a relatively minor contributor.
Am I all wet?
Ah, I see your point. I underestimated your "IR losses" statement as applying only to the coil resistance. My bad.I think you just got a misplaced factor in your definition between intentional power flow and unintentional power flow.
This depends on what impedance one is talking about.It's my understanding that in most transformers, the AC component of impedance is relatively larger than the DC resistance of the coils. So while both contribute, the DC resistance is a relatively minor contributor.
Am I all wet?
I don't know if that's what The Electrician said, but overloading the secondary overloads the magnetic circuit, which lowers the impedance of the primary, which allows more than the rated current...usually. There are also, "impedance protected" transformers and motors (usually tiny shaded pole motors) which have so much ohmic resistance in the primary that you allegedly can't let the magic smoke out.So for a typical wall wart, shorting or overloading the secondary causes over-current and resistive heating in the primary winding?
Doing that causes resistive heating in both primary and secondary.So for a typical wall wart, shorting or overloading the secondary causes over-current and resistive heating in the primary winding?