Trailer bonded ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Hello, Seems like there is not an Electrical bonding connection in the linked connector. I believe the connector does not provide this connection and I cannot bond my metal box trailer to it. If true would the connector manufacturer be in violation of the NEC?
https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GCP1-16...ocphy=9025378&hvtargid=pla-437104426497&psc=1
I don't think any device is in violation of an electric code. The installer violates electric codes. Or a manufacturers advice may show a violation of an electric code. But, reading the instructions, it appears they only show it can be installed against a panel made of various materials. They don't say to use it on a building, a home, a headroom or a trailer home. They just show that it is an extension cord that can be mounted to a panel.

note that they specifically call it an extension cord. There are rules that the installer must obey.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Go back to your link and open the second picture in the sereis of picture. Than read the description. The "port" is used to give an easier plug in to run block heaters, normally. The part under the port cover has a male plug that you plug the extension cord into. The short cord coming from the port is a female receptacle, that you would plug in the block heater. No ground bonding required, the bond to ground comes from the long extension cord and where it's plugged into.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
It's an extension cord, so no, it's not in violation of the NEC. The bond (if there needs to be one) would be elsewhere (generator, inverter, utility panel).

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I wanted to use it on a cargo trailer but the component does not allow to bond the trailer to the electrical ground.
There are better, approved, weather proof/salt-spray tested connectors from TE/AMP. Made of chrome plated die-cast zinc housing with O-ring seal, and a weatherproof cord restraint - on the inside, connectors are gold plated. They are pricy but made for the job you are doing. Last time I spoke with TE, they were working on impact resistant/UV resistant versions in plastic but I was surprised, I never met anyone that said, "these are too durable and expensive - I wish they made one out of plastic".

123Ken123

Joined Apr 8, 2022
It's an extension cord, so no, it's not in violation of the NEC. The bond (if there needs to be one) would be elsewhere (generator, inverter, utility panel).
Yes, and the utility panel would perform the bonding but there is no way to connect the trailer grounding system to the component.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
If You want to "Bond" your Trailer to Ground,
then it's up to You to take the necessary steps to accomplish that.

Most people don't have the need to Ground their Vehicles.
Do You actually have a reason that your Trailer needs to be Grounded ?
Arbitrarily Grounding things can potentially cause dangerous situations.

123Ken123

Joined Apr 8, 2022
There are better, approved, weather proof/salt-spray tested connectors from TE/AMP. Made of chrome plated die-cast zinc housing with O-ring seal, and a weatherproof cord restraint - on the inside, connectors are gold plated. They are pricy but made for the job you are doing. Last time I spoke with TE, they were working on impact resistant/UV resistant versions in plastic but I was surprised, I never met anyone that said, "these are too durable and expensive - I wish they made one out of plastic".
Thanks.

123Ken123

Joined Apr 8, 2022
If You want to "Bond" your Trailer to Ground,
then it's up to You to take the necessary steps to accomplish that.

Most people don't have the need to Ground their Vehicles.
Do You actually have a reason that your Trailer needs to be Grounded ?
Arbitrarily Grounding things can potentially cause dangerous situations.
I have an AC circuit for the trailer and bonding the grounds meets safety concerns.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
NEC and others. An ungrounded enclosure (Trailer) can become hot and not blow a fuse thus anyone touching the trailer could make a path to ground thru the person.
This means that the trailer would need a 5-foot long grounding rod pounded into the ground and bonded to the ground rail at the source (generator) breaker panel. Inside the panel, a neutral wire should be connected to the ground rail. If a properly grounded option is not available (as a trailer), the NEC is saying the "ground" should not be connected to other structures on the trailer because the structure may become energized (at mains "neutral") if ground is not literally grounded.

Lo_volt

Joined Apr 3, 2014
If you are connecting the trailer to a residential (or camper park) outlet, then the ground and neutral are bonded at the power entry for the residence. In that situation, the trailer should NOT bond neutral and ground.

If you are running a generator, the rules are slightly different, only because you can't normally attach a ground rod to a trailer. There is, therefore, no reference of the trailer ground to earth.

If you are running a generator and have no connection to utility power you will need to bond neutral to ground. This provides a path for current to flow if there is a fault (hot wire shorted to chassis or other grounded metal). If you intend to switch between utility power and a generator, you may need to remove or replace the ground to neutral bond depending on the situation.

123Ken123

Joined Apr 8, 2022
This means that the trailer would need a 5-foot long grounding rod pounded into the ground and bonded to the ground rail at the source (generator) breaker panel. Inside the panel, a neutral wire should be connected to the ground rail. If a properly grounded option is not available (as a trailer), the NEC is saying the "ground" should not be connected to other structures on the trailer because the structure may become energized (at mains "neutral") if ground is not literally grounded.
For a power panel I understood it's ground should be connected to the trailer ground and then there is a return path from the trailer to the source panel ground for opening the panel circuit breaker if the trailer became hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.