Trailer bonded ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

123Ken123

Joined Apr 8, 2022
If your so worried about ground, cut the female plug off of your NOCO and connect them to a weathe proof outlet and box. That way your frame is the ground. After all of this why are you only going with the 15A NOCO and not the 20A?

https://www.zoro.com/taymac-1-gang-multi-directional-while-in-use-weatherproof-cover-381-w-mm110c/i/G5210764/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=surfaces&utm_campaign=shopping feed&utm_content=free google shopping clicks&gclid=Cj0KCQjw4PKTBhD8ARIsAHChzRJ1RYdq5vZ7dWuVWnMwxE9TuVloXDs8is9whhfHGvZSniwAqnOM2MsaAn5lEALw_wcB
Good point but I want to keep the NOCO in-tact.

123Ken123

Joined Apr 8, 2022
Exactly how is your Trailer every going to become Hot ?
An hot wire touches the trailer and if someone touched it they can easily die from the hot trailer flowing current thru their body. I am at the point of contacting local authorities for NEC violations of their component.

123Ken123

Joined Apr 8, 2022
I don't think any device is in violation of an electric code. The installer violates electric codes. Or a manufacturers advice may show a violation of an electric code. But, reading the instructions, it appears they only show it can be installed against a panel made of various materials. They don't say to use it on a building, a home, a headroom or a trailer home. They just show that it is an extension cord that can be mounted to a panel.

note that they specifically call it an extension cord. There are rules that the installer must obey.
After reviewing further, them calling it an extension cord does not relieve them from violating the NEC for metal enclosures. Essentially the NEC states enclosures with 120 VAC must have an bonded ground to the power source ground. The installer cannot connect to the power source ground to the trailer because there is no method of doing this. The burden falls on NOCO and I am reporting them to local Authorities.

123Ken123

Joined Apr 8, 2022
Go back to your link and open the second picture in the sereis of picture. Than read the description. The "port" is used to give an easier plug in to run block heaters, normally. The part under the port cover has a male plug that you plug the extension cord into. The short cord coming from the port is a female receptacle, that you would plug in the block heater. No ground bonding required, the bond to ground comes from the long extension cord and where it's plugged into.
After reviewing further, this does not relieve them from violating the NEC for metal enclosures (The trailer). Essentially the NEC states enclosures with 120 VAC must have an bonded ground to the power source ground. The installer cannot connect to the power source ground to the trailer because there is no method of doing this. The burden falls on NOCO and I am reporting them to local Authorities.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
The burden falls on NOCO and I am reporting them to local Authorities.
Good luck with that. You are still missing the point. That NOCO item is an extension cord nothing more nothing less, and just because you think it's not up to your standards I'm pretty sure they have passed all standards they have to adhere to. I'm also pretty sure there are so many of these in use and people are having no problems what so ever.

123Ken123

Joined Apr 8, 2022
Good luck with that. You are still missing the point. That NOCO item is an extension cord nothing more nothing less, and just because you think it's not up to your standards I'm pretty sure they have passed all standards they have to adhere to. I'm also pretty sure there are so many of these in use and people are having no problems what so ever.
The only one missing the point is you and it is not my standard but NEC. Wake up.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
"" An hot wire touches the trailer ""
It seems that You are being very vague with your answers ..........

What are You doing with this Trailer that may create a dangerous situation ?????

Or, are You simply looking for some Legal loop-hole that will allow You to Sue and "win the Lottery" ?

The NEC does NOT allow any Extension-Cords in a Commercial-Environment.

If You want to virtually eliminate any "Shock-Hazard",
simply plug your Extension-Cord into a GFCI-Protected-Outlet ......... Done.

123Ken123

Joined Apr 8, 2022
"" An hot wire touches the trailer ""
It seems that You are being very vague with your answers ..........

What are You doing with this Trailer that may create a dangerous situation ?????

Or, are You simply looking for some Legal loop-hole that will allow You to Sue and "win the Lottery" ?

The NEC does NOT allow any Extension-Cords in a Commercial-Environment.

If You want to virtually eliminate any "Shock-Hazard",
simply plug your Extension-Cord into a GFCI-Protected-Outlet ......... Done.
GFCIs do not fulfill the NEC requirement concerning enclosure bonding.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
"" GFCIs do not fulfill the NEC requirement concerning enclosure bonding. ""

Your Trailer is NOT an "Enclosure".
"Enclosure" has a specific definition in the NEC.
"Enclosures" are not fed by Extension-Cords.

And, You are still not answering any pertinent questions,
or stating the reasons for any potential concerns,
which could clear this up very easily.

123Ken123

Joined Apr 8, 2022
"" GFCIs do not fulfill the NEC requirement concerning enclosure bonding. ""

Your Trailer is NOT an "Enclosure".
"Enclosure" has a specific definition in the NEC.
"Enclosures" are not fed by Extension-Cords.

And, You are still not answering any pertinent questions,
or stating the reasons for any potential concerns,
which could clear this up very easily.
Many lies and you are ignored.

Last edited:

123Ken123

Joined Apr 8, 2022
The list only has a few members on it, there are 2 lists though -
1. the ignore list
2. the troll list

I think your on both now.
Sorry you do not understand. I am an electrical engineer almost straight As, from LSU and engineered 2 of the worlds largest nuclear plants plus engineered safety systems for plants for 40 years with all true electrical engineers full agreeing my understanding of grounding per NEC.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Sorry you do not understand. I am an electrical engineer almost straight As, from LSU and engineered 2 of the worlds largest nuclear plants plus engineered safety systems for plants for 40 years with all true electrical engineers full agreeing my understanding of grounding per NEC.
Let me know what the local authorities say when you file the complaint about lack of extra grounding ports on an extension cord.

123Ken123

Joined Apr 8, 2022
Another one for the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.