Traffics card Cap repair help

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
hi guys; i have here a Graphics card that when i pulled it from the mother board i also snatched this Cap leaving the legs in the board, i tried to disorder and remove the solder but since this is led free i had a hard time to remove it ,but i think i damaged the solder in the holes, I could open holes to put in new Cap,but now i see coper all over no cut in the board to separate positive from negative,the negative i can solder but the positive do you know to what component i can solder it to ? how I could i go about putting the new cap in the circuit? Here some pics, thanks
Attached Images

Attachments

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
hi guys; i have here a Graphics card that when i pulled it from the mother board i also snatched this Cap leaving the legs in the board, i tried to disorder and remove the solder but since this is led free i had a hard time to remove it ,but i think i damaged the solder in the holes, I could open holes to put in new Cap,but now i see coper all over no cut in the board to separate positive from negative,the negative i can solder but the positive do you know to what component i can solder it to ? how I could i go about putting the new cap in the circuit? Here some pics, thanks
Attached Images
I can see a vague mess where the cap used to be but I'd need a much better picture to have any idea what you're up against. Modern boards these days - and a graphics card would certainly qualify - employ multiple levels. It's virtually impossible to repair such a thing. You may get lucky with this cap repair, but I'm just letting you know that the odds aren't great.

But, get us a clear closeup so the experts around here can get eyes on the problem.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Thanks buddy , here some better pics , the board is all scraped because i was looking for separation pad lids between ground and positive from the cap on the board.
That's still not much to go on.

Can you probe with an ohmmeter to tell where the conductors might have gone? If you find where the missing trace went, you might be able to use a wire to bypass the damage.

Know anybody with the same board? It can simplify the detective work. I suppose they may be reluctant to let you touch it!

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
Thanks ; i matter fact i have another same graphics card board in another PC, but issue it doesn't have same cap although there is the place in the board for it .thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

frank55

Joined Dec 6, 2013
Thanks ; i matter fact i have another same graphics card board in another PC, but issue it doesn't have same cap although there is the place in the board for it .thanks
Hi guys what you think if i try to put the electrolytic cap across sm cap or positive leg on the sm cap and the other on - ground ,see pic

Attachments