Tracing cable in wall

xxxyyyba

Joined Aug 7, 2012
I will try to explain my situation as simple as possible :)
In my house, one side of telephone installation cable (it has few wires inside) comes from wall and I have access to it. I know approximately where other side of that cable is in house, but I don't have access to it because it is in wall. I need to find exact position where it ends in wall. Is it possible to trace that cable from one side of it (which is accessible to me) to other side (which is not accessible because it ends somewhere in wall)? If yes, which tools I need?
Thanks in advance.

xxxyyyba

Joined Aug 7, 2012
Thanks for replies. I can't use destructive methods using hammer before I find exact location of end of cable because I'm afraid that AC mains cables go near that telephone cable :)

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I know approximately where other side of that cable is in house, but I don't have access to it because it is in wall. I need to find exact position where it ends in wall. Is it possible to trace that cable from one side of it (which is accessible to me) to other side (which is not accessible because it ends somewhere in wall)? If yes, which tools I need?
Read about this sensor called WalabotDIY that attaches to an Android phone and can see through walls.
https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/288177

It's sold out in the US and now available in the UK.

Some can buy it online here for $229, for a limited time.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Best bet is post #2. On discovering that my 1963, 2nd hand house had a 25 pr. tel. cable & only 2 jacks brought out, I put an oscillator on one pair & ground, HP 20000 ? & traced with a high gain audio amp.( junked tape player )
& found loops from celling to ground in all occupied rooms. I added 2 jacks in bedrooms.

xxxyyyba

Joined Aug 7, 2012
I don't see anything wrong with few last posts, although they do not contribute to the solution of problem. Thanks for recognizing inappropriate behavior of your president :)