TPMS project help

algis87

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Hello everyone,
I need to do a project about TPMS (Tyre pressure monitoring system). I will need to create a MCU based wireless receiver (probably a PIC) with a LCD screen to collect data from the sensors. For project demonstration I only need one sensor.

I was suggested to use existing aftermarket or OEM TPMS sensors. The problem is that I can't find datasheets for these sensors. I don't know their communication protocols. What I learned is that they mostly use 315/433Mhz FSK modulation, Manchester encoding but nothing more specific. I have seen someone hacking these sensors with data analyzers, but I can't afford such tools.

Another route would be to design my own pressure sensor. By doing that, I could use different wireless standards like 433Mhz, Zigbee, bluetooth or something other. The problem would be power consumption as the sensors are battery powered. Also this would take more time to design both the sensor and receiver.

So before I start I need your suggestions. Is it possible to use existing sensors for my project or should I design a new one?
Any help is appreciated.

yairkaba

Joined Jan 17, 2019
Hello everyone,
I need to do a project about TPMS (Tyre pressure monitoring system). I will need to create a MCU based wireless receiver (probably a PIC) with a LCD screen to collect data from the sensors. For project demonstration I only need one sensor.

I was suggested to use existing aftermarket or OEM TPMS sensors. The problem is that I can't find datasheets for these sensors. I don't know their communication protocols. What I learned is that they mostly use 315/433Mhz FSK modulation, Manchester encoding but nothing more specific. I have seen someone hacking these sensors with data analyzers, but I can't afford such tools.

Another route would be to design my own pressure sensor. By doing that, I could use different wireless standards like 433Mhz, Zigbee, bluetooth or something other. The problem would be power consumption as the sensors are battery powered. Also this would take more time to design both the sensor and receiver.

So before I start I need your suggestions. Is it possible to use existing sensors for my project or should I design a new one?
Any help is appreciated.

Colin55

Joined Aug 27, 2015
You can buy these on eBay for a few dollars. They have put thousands of hours into the development of the project. Why re-invent the wheel?????