Toroidal Transformer Place Beside EMI Filter

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
i already mounted the transformer before i red your reply, but anyway, take a look at my setup, please refer to the image i uploaded below, the arrows in yellow are tire interior rubber, i shape them and cut, the purple arrow is the metal plate, i will enclose the transformer on a atx power supply casing. should i change the top rubber(behind the metal plate) with the same size on the bottom? any corrections, suggestions, and improvements based on my work? i really appreciate it.
Now that it has been established that You are
not putting it in a closed-Box, with no Air circulation,
what You have looks just fine.
Just make sure that none of the Windings are in direct contact with the Metal-Box.
It's very easy to rub through the thin insulation of "Magnet-Wire".

muno

Joined May 17, 2022
im not so good in english though , yeah i got it, anyway, should the bolt nut be very tight? and is there anymore i can do to prevent flux leakages?

Last edited:

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
If You mount a Circuit-Board directly on top of the Transformer,
you "may" have some noise problems, maybe .....
otherwise, don't worry about Magnetic-Fields from a Toroidal-Transformer.

muno

Joined May 17, 2022
If You don't want it to be permanent,
put a piece of Aluminum-Foil on a flat, hard, surface,
and then J-B-Weld the Transformer to the Aluminum-Foil.
After it hardens, tear-off the excess Aluminum-Foil around the edges.

This will help to protect the Transformer-Windings from damage or abrasion,
and will improve Heat-transfer to the Aluminum-Box at the same time.

You can do this to the top-side of the Transformer too,
if You want to add additional protection for the Windings.

If your Transformer routinely runs very Hot,
you can then add a small piece of Aluminum on the top as well,
instead of using the Rubber and Steel Washers that were supplied with the Transformer.
Aluminum transfers Heat much better than Steel.
hmm when putting jb weld , shoud the transformer bare? or just epoxy the plastic covering to the aluminum foil?

UweX

Joined Sep 2, 2020
To me the more general question is, why do you need an EMI-Filter?
The previous ATX power supply operates with primary side switching, so it has some higher frequency components which should be filtered before entering the power net. Even a 2m supply cord makes a good antenna.
The transformer I see looks like a regular line frequency transformer. Usually you have bridge rectifier and some electrolytic capacitors on the secondary output. Even if you use a switching power supply after it, these parts transformer - rectifier filter capacitor will have some significant RF-signal suppression.
I am right, is it a line-frequency transformer ?

muno

Joined May 17, 2022
im still a beginner and am not familiar with line frequency transformer, but the transformer i have came from an audio amp

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
hmm when putting jb weld ,
I would never go the J-B Weld route. There is a reason the manufacturers use rubber and not one or no one else has ever used J-B weld. You say the transformer came from an amplifier, how was it mounted? Bet there was no J-B weld involved.

And yes, the bolt and nut must be tight.

I guess I'm not doing the right thing with my answers, so here is my take on looking smarter -

muno

Joined May 17, 2022
it was mounted with the rubber pad and steel washer, so with the bolt and nut, it was mounted on a wooden speaker

muno

Joined May 17, 2022
thank you atleast i have an idea now, by the way,should the ntc thermistor in series withthe fuse? i have seen them in atx power supplies but they are in series with neutral wire and fuse is in live/hot