Toroid Inductor Question

ben sorenson

Joined Feb 28, 2022
I was just wondering if there were any instances/applications in a toroid with a single winding where both ends of the windings are tied together, so essentially having only one lead in. Then a current is passed through it? I don't understand how that would work but I saw that done on something a while back.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
A shorted circuit transformer winding only works in cartoons. Consider that if the winding is made into a closed loop that there is no way to pass current through it. so there is the first lie. And because there is no current nor voltage there is no power. And so nothing happens. But that is not what is presented in the fake show.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I was just wondering if there were any instances/applications in a toroid with a single winding where both ends of the windings are tied together, so essentially having only one lead in. Then a current is passed through it? I don't understand how that would work but I saw that done on something a while back.
Explain a little clearer what you are implying, how would you achieve that?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
As much as you might want to be a contrarian, the fact is the the chances you will find something that the many thousands of brilliant investigators of electromagnetism missed is so exceedingly small you could probably win the lottery while simultaneously being hit by an asteroid and struck by lightning long before your naive groping in the dark finds something novel is what has been discarded by generations of genuine experts.

This doesn’t require an orthodoxy, it’s just a practical matter. It would require a conspiracy to suppress some useful information about electromagnetism that you would somehow, by chance, uncover.

Remember there are thousands of very highly educated people (in electromagnetism, it’s principles, and math) who would jump at the chance to reveal some overlooked mechanism that could provide free energy or hyper-efficiency. It could make the billions. You’d have to believe that those people were being suppressed to imagine there is something for you to find that hasn’t been seen, evaluated and discarded.

No insult is intended by this, I am just hoping you can develop a reasonable outlook and if you’d like, pursue actual knowledge of electromagnetism before you consider every fringe idea about it more relatable than the obviously effective and rigorously tested mainstream.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The example referenced by the TS does prove, once again, that not everything presented on the internet as real, is true.
That is to say, there is some fiction presented as fact.

Last edited:

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
There is current in a shorted coil if there is a changing magnetic field through the coil. Isn’t that how induction motors work?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
There is current in a shorted coil if there is a changing magnetic field through the coil. Isn’t that how induction motors work?
Yes.
At the point at switch on, an induction motor is a transformer with shorted secondary's, it has to get up to operating RPM Fast, in order to reduce current.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
An induction motor is optimized to be a motor, and the excitation is intentionally applied quite different from a transformer torroid.
The answer I gave was meant to indicate the condition at the very moment of switch on, before motion has started.
Very high current flows in the shorted turn 'secondary's'
Response to post #11.

Well…. If it is cooled to absolute zero, and manage to keep it that way, then the secondary current would flow forever and ever.
One small problem, though: how can you achieve absolute zero?
Quick answer: you can’t.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
What is seldom mentioned about the superconduction current is that taking energy out means there is less left, exactly like non-super-conduction currents. So it is not an infinite supply of energy, it is just a supply with no resistance losses. So it would work like a good storage system, but just like any other storage system, when it is gone, there isn't any more.
Thus, super-conductivity does not violate the protocols of this site.
One more thing is that strong magnetic fields tend to interfere with super-conductivity somehow. At least that was true back in 1967.