Tonight's Libation

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Now that's a beer! ... ever tried the dark version of it? Negra Modelo?
We get a few Mexican beers here, I will have to check next time at the liquor store, I'm partial to dark beer.
I wonder what the prime malting ingredient is in Mexican beer, I wouldn't think they grow that much barley?
Max.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
We get a few Mexican beers here, I will have to check next time at the liquor store, I'm partial to dark beer.
I wonder what the prime malting ingredient is in Mexican beer, I wouldn't think they grow that much barley?
Max.
My good Max... Mexican beer is TOP quality, my friend... if you know where to look ... and yes, we grow lots of barley down here, and hops
But I'll also grant you that not all Mexican beer is good beer. There are some duds out there too, so watch out.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Wow, 33 years old Gopher? Did it taste good?
It was wonderful! A wine that old is hard to describe. The individual berry, oak, nut and fruit flavors that can be identified in a younger bottle just meld into a velvety richness - if it is stored well. A hint of a well stored bottle is that the volume inside the bottle seems about right. We had one several years ago that contained only about 80% of its expected volume - that was not suitable for anything. When stuff like that comes up at a charity auction, I can't resist bidding. Sometimes the bottles are visible, sometimes you get a phrase like, "older french wine - 12 full bottles." We got lucky this time.

There are 11 more bottles of various years slightly before and after that one. I hope the rest are just as good. If you are in Pittsburgh sometime soon, let me know, we'll open one for your visit.

Get here soon. I tend to buy with the intention of drinking rather than collecting, trading or selling.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
My good Max... Mexican beer is TOP quality, my friend... if you know where to look ... and yes, we grow lots of barley down here, and hops
But I'll also grant you that not all Mexican beer is good beer. There are some duds out there too, so watch out.
As you probably know by now I brew my own, but occasionally pick up the odd specialty beer to keep tabs on what is out there.;)
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I found it, but $10.60 a 650 ml bottle!
It had better be good!
Has the appearance of a Brown Ale, rather than a stout.

Oh-Oh I see in the fine print it says Penticton BC?
Max.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I found it, but $10.60 a 650 ml bottle!
It had better be good!
Has the appearance of a Brown Ale, rather than a stout.

Oh-Oh I see in the fine print it says Penticton BC?
Max.
Never tried it either... hope it's good. But there's no way I would've paid more than $10 dlls for that bottle!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
A dark, fruity and toasty, alc 5.2% volume beer:
Nice to see beer drank out of a Glass still!
I guess it is an age/cultural thing. When I grew up most beer drank was on tap, so mug/stein/glass was customary, now I see shows portraying local English pub's and many are drinking from the bottle. .
I have never quite developed drinking beer this way, how ever it is served, I always use a glass.
Call me a Beer snob.:rolleyes:
Max.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Nice to see beer drank out of a Glass still!
I guess it is an age/cultural thing. When I grew up most beer drank was on tap, so mug/stein/glass was customary, now I see shows portraying local English pub's and many are drinking from the bottle. .
I have never quite developed drinking beer this way, how ever it is served, I always use a glass.
Call me a Beer snob.:rolleyes:
Max.
Do you want the mods to change your moniker?