Tonight's Libation

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
No........unfortunately........an emotional environment is not alien. Many are comfortable and remain there.

I was referencing the physical environment. We are the only aliens to it. All other life/creatures are suited for it.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
The bottom line is there is good and bad everywhere, it all depends on the whole picture and sense of comfort, quality of life of where you live, not just SNOW!:p
Max.
Not only migrants puzzle me. Why people insist in returning to their homes located in areas being flooded once or twice a year is close to a mistery. But now that I think of it, there are tornados, hurricanes, typhoons and quakes out there as well...:(

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Not only migrants puzzle me. Why people insist in returning to their homes located in areas being flooded once or twice a year is close to a mistery. But now that I think of it, there are tornados, hurricanes, typhoons and quakes out there as well...:(
I don't get it either.

kv

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I thought California was the place to be? Mud slides, Forest fires, Drought, Quakes!
A while ago we had a tech guy fly in from California, when we met him at the airport, he said he was afraid to get off the plane, he couldn't see any Air. :p
He had just left a common air inversion occurrence.
Max.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Never had one... but it sounds interesting:

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/23/foodanddrink/bermuda-dark-n-stormy-cocktail-history/index.html

- 2 ounces Gosling's Black Seal rum
- 4-5 ounces ginger beer
- Lime
- Fill Collins glass with cubed ice, add rum and ginger beer, stir and garnish with lime wedge or wheel.​
Maybe if I've run out of vodka. This is basically a Moscow Mule with dark rum replacing the vodka, which to me doesn't sound great. I like a MM in the summer for its clean crisp freshness. Dark rum doesn't fit with that. I do like the Goslings ginger beer. Best I've found yet.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Never had one... but it sounds interesting:

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/23/foodanddrink/bermuda-dark-n-stormy-cocktail-history/index.html

- 2 ounces Gosling's Black Seal rum
- 4-5 ounces ginger beer
- Lime
- Fill Collins glass with cubed ice, add rum and ginger beer, stir and garnish with lime wedge or wheel.​
I'm having the same thing with Mekhong spirit instead of rum with a dash of Angostura Bitters added.

The perfect thing for an Oregon heat wave. In Pattaya we would buy the local Thai 'whiskey' (a mixture of sugar cane rum and rice wine) for cheap and mix it with pineapple juice from one of those little cans.

Hangover Score: 9/10

This is what Pattaya Beach looked like before tourist in the 70's.

The local boats (like in the background) would pick us up from the ships off the coast and drop us off in waist deep water just off the beach. there was not pier or deep water close to town.

Even shore patrol was fun!

Last edited:

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Now, that I have a bottle of Gin, guess what else I'll try next he he. Gin/Martini&Rossi, however, rather than Olives filled with pimento, I'm going to try a Blue Cheese filled green olive.

Pimento's yuk.

kv

Edit: My daughter re-gift a Christmas present the Martini&Rossi was in the house. Now I just need to know how to make a good Martini.

Last edited:

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I made this one last night.
Ingredients :
- 2 1/2 oz gin
- 1/2 oz dry vermouth
- 1/2 oz rosso vermouth

But, instead of Olives with Pimento. I only had some I purchased from the Olive bar at the health food market. Didn't really like it that much, but I put three in the olives in which helped the flavor, like Joey did in his first picture of the thread. I've always thought a Martini looks great, but couldn't get my taste buds to help me out. So, I felt like my tastes have changed over the years and should give it another try.

Tonight, I'll give your version a try and add some bitters. I might invest in a metal skewer and some Martini Glasses now.

kv

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I do not understand why so much vermouth was added to your libation?

I will typically add perhaps a half ounce (no more!) to my well chilled glass, swirl it around, then pour it out.

Another technique is to hold the well chilled glass in a raised salute in the general direction of Italy (a country renowned for making fine vermouth) before adding the gin.

Three olives is standard. One is too few, two are unlucky.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Vermouth in a martini is a little like cream in coffee. It's what noobs do as they begin their path towards the straight stuff.