Tonight's Libation

boatsman

Joined Jan 17, 2008
MaxHeadroom said:
Can't say I have. Are they on Utube?
I really don't know. I remember seeing them in a cinema in Amsterdam years ago.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I had a great Moscow Mule last night. I've discovered that the quality of the drink depends, not surprisingly, on the ginger beer you use. I've been unimpressed with some but found recently that Gosling's ginger beer is really good. It has far more good ginger flavor than any other drink I've ever had. It's the official ginger beer of the America's Cup race, for whatever that's worth.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I had a great Moscow Mule last night. I've discovered that the quality of the drink depends, not surprisingly, on the ginger beer you use. I've been unimpressed with some but found recently that Gosling's ginger beer is really good. It has far more good ginger flavor than any other drink I've ever had. It's the official ginger beer of the America's Cup race, for whatever that's worth.
I've never had ginger beer. Please elaborate.

Wikipedia suggests it's sweet. If so, I'll likely not like it.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Today's ginger beers are mostly non-alcoholic. They are used as a mixer, in drinks such as a Dark and Stormy. That is ginger beer and spiced rum.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
It's sweet enough that there's a diet version, but it's nowhere near as sweet as a typical ginger ale, which are syrupy to my tastes. The drink includes lime juice and vodka. I'd say the result is still sweet, but not too much. Clean and fresh with the lime and mint.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
For a Moscow Mule I like more ginger so I use a ginger liqueur like this one from Stirrings:
http://www.proof66.com/liqueur/stirrings-ginger-liqueur.html
Add the fizz to taste with sparkling water.
Well if you're going to pull that out, I've taken to just slicing raw ginger into mine. We have a great produce store in town and I get beautiful roots for less than $1 per pound. But now with the Goslings, I can skip that.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Last week I spent a few (too few) days down in my happy place Isla Mujeres. Found this on the shelves of Chedraui (a supermarket).

WP_20170212_18_13_41_Pro (3).jpg

It made a nice counterpoint to a near endless stream of margaritas.

Soggy Peso anyone?

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
And I was in Islamorada today. Small world. :D
I think we flew over (or pretty near) that on our way down. We were scheduled to leave the morning of day the snow storm hit the NE. I thought we'd be fine till noon the day before when all flights that day got canceled. The only seats my wife could find for us left out of Montreal, and there were no flights from NYC to there.

So Wednesday we flew to Ottawa, spend a quiet night in the terminal, short hop to Montreal then the main flight to Cancun. I accepted it as part of an adventure and somewhat enjoyed the 20 hour trip (normally 4-5 hours).

o_O It ain't that soggy... but I'm glad to hear you had a good time ;)
The Soggy Peso is a dive bar (using the term in it's most admiral sense) along Av Rueda Medina in Isla. It is best knows for spectacular margaritas (you can have two, do not attempt three) and their Cheeseburger in Paradise which is consistently the best burger I have ever had. Only served Thursdays as their kitchen is small so they only have a choice of one meal per day (your choice is yes or no). A sign out front will inform you of the meal of the day.

It has become so popular that they now have a gate with a code key, you need the code to enter after five.

soggy.jpg
I don't have to go that far, it is in my liquor store just around the corner.;)
Max.
I don't mind going there at all.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
OK, this one's from last summer but it's become a summer favorite of mine.

Behold the Kerr-cumber:
IMG_2923.jpg

The name comes from a local bartender's spin on this drink.

It's basically a gin and tonic plus mint and cucumber. Instead of straight sugar or bar syrup for sweetness, use add something fruity such as apricot brandy (as above) or Triple sec. Anything to add a hint of fruit along with the sweet.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
OK, this one's from last summer but it's become a summer favorite of mine.

Behold the Kerr-cumber:
View attachment 121390

The name comes from a local bartender's spin on this drink.

It's basically a gin and tonic plus mint and cucumber. Instead of straight sugar or bar syrup for sweetness, use add something fruity such as apricot brandy (as above) or Triple sec. Anything to add a hint of fruit along with the sweet.
Man... I love a good gin and tonic... definitely gonna give this a try. Thanks!