Toggling Lights with a push button

teenflon5

Joined Apr 19, 2021
Hello,

I'm working on a little project to power some old Airbus overhead lights using LEDs and the built in push buttons, however I'm a little stuck on the solution for this.

Essentially the unit has momentary push buttons for toggling the lights on and off. I intend to power some LEDs and toggle them on and off using the existing buttons, but I dont know the right approach.

I tried thinking of using an S/R latch to toggle the LEDs on or off, however connecting the S and R pins to the button at the same time didnt really work, I tried putting some gates in between but that just made things worse!

There must be a simple solution to toggle an output based on pressing momentary push buttons but I'm not aware whats out there. Is there a simple IC or component that can do this?

Thanks

Yaakov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
You need a bistable multivibrator—that is, a flip-flop. Or, a latching relay.

The advantage of the latter is that power is not consumed when except to change state.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
With a flip-flop, you also need a debounce circuit to ignore any contact bounce from the mechanical push-button switch.

LTspice simulation below, of such a circuit using a FF, as mentioned in posts 2 and 3:
R1C1 delays the feedback to the D input (red trace) which prevents more than one output change-of-state (green trace) per button push (as shown by the simulated switch bounces for the first push (yellow trace).

1621947968717.png

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
You can do it with a couple of inverters (or nand gates or nor gates) like this:
Untitled 1.pngThe switch is a momentary type. (I couldn't find the right symbol in SPICE)

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Hello,

I'm working on a little project to power some old Airbus overhead lights using LEDs and the built in push buttons, however I'm a little stuck on the solution for this.

Essentially the unit has momentary push buttons for toggling the lights on and off. I intend to power some LEDs and toggle them on and off using the existing buttons, but I dont know the right approach.

I tried thinking of using an S/R latch to toggle the LEDs on or off, however connecting the S and R pins to the button at the same time didnt really work, I tried putting some gates in between but that just made things worse!

There must be a simple solution to toggle an output based on pressing momentary push buttons but I'm not aware whats out there. Is there a simple IC or component that can do this?

Thanks
Questions:
1. Supply voltage?
2. Output Load (LED current/voltage)?
3. Two buttons or one (for each LED)?
4. button type (1NO?, 1NO+1NC?) or?
5. Retrofit existing wired buttons and LED's? or new?