To whomever it may concern

Mac Rodriguez

Joined Mar 24, 2016
Sure would be nice if when you posted a thread asking questions that the people who we giving some answers or at least giving some ideas had a way to let the original poster know that they are not going to be giving any more answers or ideas. That way the original poster is not there checking the post every minute to see if they answered or not, just saying.

Mac Rodriguez

Joined Mar 24, 2016
You may set the thread to email you, when someone replies......so you don't have to watch.
Yea, but that doesn't always work.
I'm serious.
I have gotten messages on this and other sites for the past 1.5 years and the notification(s) never came up or was heard.
I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Gliche in the system, I don't know.
Better if there is a way for the person to just click " not going to reply anymore " or " will reply later " or something!

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
How would you know that a responder has stopped giving ideas?

1) AAC is an international forum and members are from different time zones. Some have to go to sleep too.
2) Members are not necessarily glued to their screens 24/7. Some have a life to attend too.
3) What about when a member gives advice and then have to go to class, work, eat, sleep, go on vacation, or just kicked the bucket?

Set your thread for automatic alert as BR-549 says.

Mac Rodriguez

Joined Mar 24, 2016
How would you know that a responder has stopped giving ideas?

1) AAC is an international forum and members are from different time zones. Some have to go to sleep too.
2) Members are not necessarily glued to their screens 24/7. Some have a life to attend too.
3) What about when a member gives advice and then have to go to class, work, eat, sleep, go on vacation, or just kicked the bucket?

Set your thread for automatic alert as BR-549 says.
Exactly, that's why I said for that person to have the ability to let the other person know if they so CHOOSE to by means of a tab on the reply box somewhere or something. I understand everyone has a life and so do I.
And if I knew something some one else didn't and could help them in my good time, then I would wish to have a little tab on my screen to let them know that, but that's ME.

And i'll tell you like I told BR-549, that doesn't always work.
This is not a perfect world with a perfect network, and there are gliches, like in mine and am sure many others where that doesn't work, trust me.
I wouldn't be complaining if it really worked that way.
Maybe some IT might read this is and say, oh yea, good idea, or NOT.
Look, this is the "feedback" part of the forums right, so that's all this is, feedback.
Not trying to push any buttons here (no pun intended).

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I see......is there anything else we could do for you? Wake up call at 6am perhaps.

Where did you learn that attitude? The proper response to a gift is gratitude and thankfulness.

These people here donate THEIR personal time without pay. They have personal lives also. You should consider that.

Mac Rodriguez

Joined Mar 24, 2016
I see......is there anything else we could do for you? Wake up call at 6am perhaps.

Where did you learn that attitude? The proper response to a gift is gratitude and thankfulness.

These people here donate THEIR personal time without pay. They have personal lives also. You should consider that.
What the hell, are you serious!!
I know that!
That's why I brought up this idea!!
Your misunderstanding of this comment is not my problem.
Again, this a feedback forum, and that's what this comment was.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Ok....so when ever we answer a thread, you want us to say if that is our last post or not? Is that what you want?

Mac Rodriguez

Joined Mar 24, 2016
Ok....so when ever we answer a thread, you want us to say if that is our last post or not? Is that what you want?
Look man, you are really taking this the wrong way.
This isn't about what " I " want or what " I " would like
When I go to a store or a venue event or whatever, and when they ASK me for feedback, I give it to them.
They say it actually HELPS them with their customers, visitors, attendants.
That's all this comment was for.
Maybe it doesn't apply to the ELITE minds of this website, but to the rest of the guppies it MIGHT HELP.

All I am saying is just like there are 3 little tabs at the bottom of each reply that say " like " " quote" " reply"- and
if an Allaboutcircuits.com IT decides it might benefit the users- that a " will reply later " or " no answer " or WHATEVER tab,
just like the other 3, could also be made.
I don't know how that works, I don't do website design or IT.
Hopefully, that answers your question.

Last edited:

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I have suggested this before.....in a little different form. A short text string box with the like button. Maybe 40 characters long. Then when the like is posted....it can display a short string comment of text with the like notice.

I was told they consider all feedback suggestions.

Edit: Of course......just because the feature is available.........doesn't mean people will use it.

Sure would be nice if when you posted a thread asking questions that the people who we giving some answers or at least giving some ideas had a way to let the original poster know that they are not going to be giving any more answers or ideas. That way the original poster is not there checking the post every minute to see if they answered or not, just saying.
Hi. I already read the responses and exchanges and I pretty much agree with much of their content. I don't think you will see implementation of such a procedure any time soon, but who knows? It just seems like you want (raising it as a feedback point and not as a demand) some kind of official statement/action by all the individuals concerned (which is constantly varying) that they have nothing further to say on the matter. It seems to me like an extra burden.

There have been times when, after an exchange, I have pretty much said, well that's all I have, those are your choices that I can see. So, to some degree, many respondents do communicate some closure. So, in a sense, what you are asking about sometimes, but not always, happens in the natural course of exchange.

I want to raise another side of the coin to you. I notice that sometimes, many times, help is offered, even solutions are offered - but there is no response from the OP. They simply floated away. You have no idea if they found a solution based on the help provided, or just gave up, or found out that they didn't have something plugged in (we have all done that at some point). We just don't know. In a small sense, it is disrespectful. I don't loose sleep over that, but I feel a sense of lack of closure, even if I am not a respondent....how did it turn out?...what happened?...let us know. From reading what you wrote, however,I don't think that you, personally, are like that,

When they do respond, it enhances the educational experience for all and likely makes the respondent feel that they have been listened to and maybe a small amount of gratification knowing that they helped solved a problem.

That's my related pet peeve.

Now, look, I have no illusions about this - I have relatively few posts providing "help". Few, compared to some of these moderators and veteran members who have, literally 1000s of posts providing assistance.

My hat (if I wore one) is off to them.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The suggestions isn't practical for a number of reasons.

First, the concern about not receiving notifications when a response is made to a thread -- well, that same concern would apply to receiving notifications when someone clicks the new buttons that you are recommending. Now, I'm assuming that you are aware that only a single notification is sent (and this assumes that you have opted to receive e-mail alerts when a new post is made to a thread you are watching) and no alerts are sent for subsequent posts until you visit the thread. That is to prevent you from getting bombarded with e-mails.

Second, if you are checking the thread every minute to see if someone has posted a response, then you have unrealistic expectations of an internet forum. This also likely explains why you don't get many notifications since there is a delay between when a post is made and when a notification is generated. If you visit the thread within that window, then the system sees no reason to send you an alert about a post that you've already seen.

Third, almost no one is going to use such a feature, if for no other reason than that it is very rare that they know when they made a post that it is going to be their last post in that thread. People post responses to threads as part of a free-wheeling conversation. They seldom know when they aren't going to participate further -- that happens naturally as they just stop having anything more to say as the discussion develops.

For instance, in this discussion right now, I have no idea whether this is going to be my last post in this thread or not. I suspect the same is true for the majority, if not all, of the current participants. If I don't make any more responses for a week and you were to ask me, I would still not be able to tell you whether or not I am done with this thread. It all depends on whether someone posts something that I choose to respond to.

At any given time I would estimate that I am actively involved in several dozen threads and, at any given time, there are many of them in which I would guess that I probably will make further replies but that, at the end of the day, it will turn out that my last response in that thread has already been posted.

On the rare occasion that I choose to stop participating in a thread in which I've been active, I do one of two things. I just stop participating, or I make an exit post stating that I'm done. If the button you are recommending was available, I would not use it for those cases where I've chosen to just stop participating. Using it for the others accomplishes very little and the reasons for announcing that I'm done with the thread make it unlikely that I'm going to be feeling like jumping through another unnecessary hoop.

Mac Rodriguez

Joined Mar 24, 2016
Hi. I already read the responses and exchanges and I pretty much agree with much of their content. I don't think you will see implementation of such a procedure any time soon, but who knows? It just seems like you want (raising it as a feedback point and not as a demand) some kind of official statement/action by all the individuals concerned (which is constantly varying) that they have nothing further to say on the matter. It seems to me like an extra burden.

There have been times when, after an exchange, I have pretty much said, well that's all I have, those are your choices that I can see. So, to some degree, many respondents do communicate some closure. So, in a sense, what you are asking about sometimes, but not always, happens in the natural course of exchange.

I want to raise another side of the coin to you. I notice that sometimes, many times, help is offered, even solutions are offered - but there is no response from the OP. They simply floated away. You have no idea if they found a solution based on the help provided, or just gave up, or found out that they didn't have something plugged in (we have all done that at some point). We just don't know. In a small sense, it is disrespectful. I don't loose sleep over that, but I feel a sense of lack of closure, even if I am not a respondent....how did it turn out?...what happened?...let us know. From reading what you wrote, however,I don't think that you, personally, are like that,

When they do respond, it enhances the educational experience for all and likely makes the respondent feel that they have been listened to and maybe a small amount of gratification knowing that they helped solved a problem.

That's my related pet peeve.

Now, look, I have no illusions about this - I have relatively few posts providing "help". Few, compared to some of these moderators and veteran members who have, literally 1000s of posts providing assistance.

My hat (if I wore one) is off to them.
Good comment.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
There are some very rare occasions that I sign off and say over and out.
That is when the TS is so brainless that anything else I say just goes in one ear and out the other.
Then I let the TS know that I'm gone.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
I would find the proposed feature useless, for exactly this reason:

Third, almost no one is going to use such a feature, if for no other reason than that it is very rare that they know when they made a post that it is going to be their last post in that thread. People post responses to threads as part of a free-wheeling conversation. They seldom know when they aren't going to participate further -- that happens naturally as they just stop having anything more to say as the discussion develops.
I almost never know, when I post something, that it will be my last post to a thread; and I wouldn't want to click on any "I'm Done Here" button (or whatever you want to call it) unless I was absolutely sure I was done. That rarely happens.