TLC555 VS Standard 555. XBOX One Controller Mod...

NFA Fabrication

Joined Aug 12, 2012
So I enjoy playing "Grand Theft Auto" On my XBOX One. A lot of the game play involves rapidly pressing the "A" button. Unfortunately, this makes my hand very sore as I have Gout (It's a joint pain disorder if you are not familiar with it). On my XBOX 360, I modded the controller with a 555 timer and used a transistor to jump the 2 contacts for that button, then added an additional button on the controller to activate it. I made room in the controller by removing the vibration motors in the handles. The only issue I has was that the 555 timer needed 5+ Volts, and the controller battery is basically 2 AA rechargeables built into a battery pack. So I ran a tiny 2 cell lithium hobby battery in one of the handles, and just made it a common ground with the 2AA pack. So this had to be charged separately. It worked amazing, but was a pain to deal with charging that separately.

So I read about the TLC555 which can work down to 2V (Perfect!). Other than the voltage requirements being lower, do they share the same pinouts? Or am I going to have to start all over and learn how to set this TLC555 up? The goal is to run he whole thing of just the normal 2AA pack. I also already purchased and have the TLC555's in hand! Thanks for any info!

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
So I read about the TLC555 which can work down to 2V (Perfect!). Other than the voltage requirements being lower, do they share the same pinouts? Or am I going to have to start all over and learn how to set this TLC555 up?
You should be OK. The two chips have the same pinout and operate the same. The TLC555 output (pin 3) cannot source or sink quite as much current as the regular 555; but I suspect your application won't care about that.

Go for it!

NFA Fabrication

Joined Aug 12, 2012
You should be OK. The two chips have the same pinout and operate the same. The TLC555 output (pin 3) cannot source or sink quite as much current as the regular 555; but I suspect your application won't care about that.

Go for it!
Thank you very much! This is basically exactly what I was hoping to hear!