Tips on soldering fragile sensor

sa bassesse

Joined Sep 7, 2008
I have a small (1cmx1cm) sensor whose pins do not provide an easy way to attach for e.g., a wire for an easy soldering to a protoboard (see the attached figure).

To make the matter worse, the sensors' pin metal is very fragile. While soldering with a 15W soldering device, I have realized that they easily heat up and detach. I was wondering if anyone has a tip/suggestions on how to solve this. I've already burned four testing sensors and my teacher and my teammates are not too happy about it. Please give your suggestions on how I should go around these limitations.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The chip package is for surface mount assembly. You need to create a pcb (printed circuit board) and mount the chip using solder paste and a SMT heat gun.

sa bassesse

Joined Sep 7, 2008
The chip package is for surface mount assembly. You need to create a pcb (printed circuit board) and mount the chip using solder paste and a SMT heat gun.
Thanks for the reply! You're right. Looking at the sensor (see the below figure),

it is impossible to use on a breadboard. Thanks for the info

Attachments

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

You could make a kind of breakoutboard for the sensor.
I made a little sketch (not on scale), to give you an idea how you could make it:

PS25251_breakoutboard_idea.png

Bertus

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Cut a square hole in a piece of single sided copper clad PC board that just fits the sensor. (small drill bit and files will work fine)

Isolate 4 "pads" around the edges of the sensor with a Dremel tool, close to the pads on the device. Carefully solder short bits of #30 AWG wire between the sensor and the copper pads. Solder longer lead out wires to the pads for connection to your circuit.
Use a small TEMPERATURE CONTROLLED iron to do the soldering!!!

Encapsulate the back side with epoxy to retain the sensor and protect the connections.

Tricky, but much faster than making a PCB, and you don't need to master "reflow soldering" then.

Last edited:

sa bassesse

Joined Sep 7, 2008
Cut a square hole in a piece of single sided copper clad PC board that just fits the sensor. (small drill bit and files will work fine)

Isolate 4 "pads" around the edges of the sensor with a Dremel tool, close to the pads on the device. Carefully solder short bits of #30 AWG wire between the sensor and the copper pads. Solder longer lead out wires to the pads for connection to your circuit.

Encapsulate the back side with epoxy to retain the sensor and protect the connections.

Tricky, but much faster than making a PCB, and you don't need to master "reflow soldering" then.
Thanks a lot for your suggestions!

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
With so many parts only being avalable in SMD packages these days, one needs to have some clever tricks- especially if you need to get stuff done fast.

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012

I haven't heard of this method before - I'm trying to envision it, and I think I have the idea, but was hoping perhaps you had a picture of such a test set prior to epoxy. I'm always looking for new techniques - and have often resorted to building a PCB board for parts this size thinking it is the only sure fire way to get something that works.