Tip122 Replacement

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Maybe they needed the extra current. TIP122 is rated at 100V, 5A.

TIP142 is rated at 100V, 10A.
Not sure but it hooks up to the blower fan which is a 12v 1w fan.. I was thinking that they are prone to failure and that's there as a back up... I was looking around at the Tip102 but the Tip142 might be a better option ...

Sorry correction
The tip122 power the fan but goes to the control board and might power the heating element but not sure.. I will have to do some leg work and find out how it works..

Last edited:

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Well I did some more work and frankly it scary as hell working on this thing... The blower motor is is not terminated right and wire are exposed ... The 2 Tip122 get really hot and have not heatsink or even a fan blowing on it .. I would like to redo the PCB with a better design and more room for a heat sink but cad skills suck and I have a hard time even trying to use it ..So does anyone have any ideas ???

And IIRC; a darlington.
What does that mean??

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Well I did some more work and frankly it scary as hell working on this thing... The blower motor is is not terminated right and wire are exposed ... The 2 Tip122 get really hot and have not heatsink or even a fan blowing on it .. I would like to redo the PCB with a better design and more room for a heat sink but cad skills suck and I have a hard time even trying to use it ..So does anyone have any ideas ???

What does that mean??
A darlington is 2 transistors connected together in the same package - the gains of the 2 transistors multiply.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
A darlington is 2 transistors connected together in the same package - the gains of the 2 transistors multiply.
Could I use MOSFET instead of the Darlington ??
I know there is 2 transistors inside but not sure what that means or the gain means..

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Could I use MOSFET instead of the Darlington ??
I know there is 2 transistors inside but not sure what that means or the gain means..
In a darlington; the 2 base/emitter junctions are in series, so you have to top 1.4V to get current flow - but you only need much smaller current than with a straight transistor.

A power MOSFET is a voltage operated device, there's only current in the gate if you have AC charging and discharging the gate capacitance.

A typical power MOSFET needs about 8V on the gate to pass the headline drain current, small signal types can respond to as low as 1V.

You can get logic-level MOSFETs with guaranteed VGSthr specifications.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
The Darlington is feed from the transfomer with ac voltage which head to a triac that controls the heating elements ..What I am trying to do eliminate the double stack Darlington's and possibly use only one but not sure of the 10 amp rating will be enough or use a logic lvl get.. Do you think I should reuse the board or try building a better one ???

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
The Darlington is feed from the transfomer with ac voltage which head to a triac that controls the heating elements ..What I am trying to do eliminate the double stack Darlington's and possibly use only one but not sure of the 10 amp rating will be enough or use a logic lvl get.. Do you think I should reuse the board or try building a better one ???
The TIP11x darlingtons are only one transistor package - of course there's nothing to stop you assembling the darlington yourself from 2 discrete transistors.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
If you loom at both pics the company stack to 5 amp darlington together .. I would love to build a circuit to replace the darlington but to be honest I wouldn't know where to begin cause I am still a newbie and still learning..

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I was thinking last night and I wondered if I could remove the 2 tip122 and mount remotely 1 Tip142 with a large heatsink on perfboard with using wires to connect the two??