TIP 31 A equivalent

The Engineer

Joined Sep 3, 2014
I'm am about to print out a PCB in order to build a metal detector , here is the design. http://www.geotech1.com/pages/metdet/projects/twinloop/twinloop.pdf
I am missing a transistor, a TIP31A.
Have looked in a alternative transistor catalogue and have found no results for this component, So I am wondering if anybody on the forum knows of any possible alternatives that will just about to the job ?
Need to hand the detector in in two days so any advice will be very helpful !
Thanks guys.

The Engineer

Joined Sep 3, 2014
I have 32C, 34, 41, 120, 121, 126, 127, 3055. And many other transistors available as i'm in college so name any you believe will work !

The Engineer

Joined Sep 3, 2014
I do not have time to order unfortunately ! if you could name any you belive will work I will check if they are in the store room

MCU88

Joined Mar 12, 2015
I do not have time to order unfortunately ! if you could name any you belive will work I will check if they are in the store room
Why don't you read the datasheets yourself and see if you have an equivalent. Things to consider with comparison would be:
  • NPN or PNP?
  • hFE / Beta
  • Darlington / super transistor?
  • Bandwidth (MHz)
  • Voltage & current ratings

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
TIP41 - yes. 5A instead of 3A, simple substitution.

TIP121 - no. This is a darlington transistor, and might not behave the same as the TIP31 because of the different effective base-emitter voltage.

ak