Timed relay and switch prjoect. very simple

vetter

Joined Dec 19, 2006
k heres what im tryin to do. ill try to be as clear as possible.

i am trying setup a switch that has to be depressed for a certain time interval in order for the relay to switch over adn groudn the circuit resulting in turning what i need turned off. :D

normally i use this switch thats a basic on or off switch. its in one position or the other.

in this scenario i want to use a push button that has to be held down to ground the circuit/send the negative pulse to the relay. i want this relay to have to see the signal from the switch be pressed down for a preset or programmable amount of time. once that interval has been seen i want the relay to switch over and cut the engine off.

easy enough huh? suggestions?

also where can i buy these relays in qunatity. it has to be relatively small they will be going on motorcylces. :)

thanks and i hope to hear your replies soon!:cool:

wireaddict

Joined Nov 1, 2006
Here's a variation of your idea that uses 'off-the-shelf' parts you might consider. Use a normally open push-button switch in series with an 'on-delay' timer; most of these are adjustable R-C timers with relay contact outputs although some may be digital. Connect the normally closed timer/relay contacts in series with your ignition circuit. Potter-Brumfield is one timer manufacturer.

The timing action starts when the button is pressed & must be held long enough for the timer to time out & energize the output relay & open the normally closed contacts in the ignition circuit.