1. We will be in Read Only mode (no new threads, replies, registration) starting at 9:00 EDT for a number of hours as we migrate the forums to upgraded software.

Timed relay and switch prjoect. very simple

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by vetter, Dec 19, 2006.

1. vetter

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    k heres what im tryin to do. ill try to be as clear as possible.

i am trying setup a switch that has to be depressed for a certain time interval in order for the relay to switch over adn groudn the circuit resulting in turning what i need turned off. :D

normally i use this switch thats a basic on or off switch. its in one position or the other.

in this scenario i want to use a push button that has to be held down to ground the circuit/send the negative pulse to the relay. i want this relay to have to see the signal from the switch be pressed down for a preset or programmable amount of time. once that interval has been seen i want the relay to switch over and cut the engine off.

easy enough huh? suggestions?

also where can i buy these relays in qunatity. it has to be relatively small they will be going on motorcylces. :)

thanks and i hope to hear your replies soon!:cool:

2. wireaddict

Nov 1, 2006
    Here's a variation of your idea that uses 'off-the-shelf' parts you might consider. Use a normally open push-button switch in series with an 'on-delay' timer; most of these are adjustable R-C timers with relay contact outputs although some may be digital. Connect the normally closed timer/relay contacts in series with your ignition circuit. Potter-Brumfield is one timer manufacturer.

The timing action starts when the button is pressed & must be held long enough for the timer to time out & energize the output relay & open the normally closed contacts in the ignition circuit.