Time Travel may be possible; time travel paradoxes aren’t!

visionofast

Joined Oct 17, 2018
I've said this many times before.
The limit in the universe is not speed or time. The real limit is causality.

Who controls Causality?
View attachment 219099
Human or animal's body is the kind of system that usually overcomes the causality limit in physics ,many events in such system can point feedbacks from future.maybe the same as concept called sixth sense in psychology.
and who controls causality?
philosophically, the more you become a land god the more you'd gian authority to play with causality threads.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Human or animal's body is the kind of system that usually overcomes the causality limit in physics ,many events in such system can point feedbacks from future.maybe the same as concept called sixth sense in psychology.
and who controls causality?
philosophically, the more you become a land god the more you'd gian authority to play with causality threads.
This is science fiction just like the comic strip I posted.

ZCochran98

Joined Jul 24, 2018
Cutting through the technobabble and the pop-sci media spin, this is what the research is actually saying: if (BIG if) time travel backwards were possible (demonstrably not - requires superluminal speeds, which are also not possible), you would not be able to cause a paradox. The research doesn't say "time travel is possible" from a mechanism standpoint, but from a paradoxical standpoint. Basically, it takes the position "IF time travel were possible, then time travel paradoxes are not."

Time travel forward is possible, but it's not as glorious as commonly portrayed. Basically, you need to go at near-speed-of-light speed for x amount of time, or be in a huge gravitational well for a little while, then return to the reference frame that was considered "stationary" relative to you.

Basically, this is the "weird neutrinos detected at the arctic so the media and YouTube thinks it's evidence of a parallel universe with time traveling backwards because one scientist was brainstorming" thing all over again.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Yes, the time travel research is much like the mathematical possibility of an Alcubierre warp drive. It's possible to 'warp' a solution of Einstein's field equations that makes the math work but the problem is, it won't work in this physical universe.

Time manipulation happens naturally in the universe and is being accounted for (faster and slower clock effects) every time you use a GPS for position.

https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/twin-paradox.137916/post-1156979

visionofast

Joined Oct 17, 2018
Sixth sense in psychology is provable by signal processing and mathematics?

consider birds have the ability to get aware of bad accidents like earthquakes and storms or getting haunted before happening, by showing special behaviours or signals .and human as a higher level of consciousness as well.
maybe just need to categorize that internal/external behaviours or signals by experiments.:cool:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Last edited:

visionofast

Joined Oct 17, 2018
I'm old enough to remember when this parapsychology mumbo-jumbo was tolerated at the academic level. We wasted plenty of time, effort and money on ESP and the like during the 60's and 70's at places like UCLA.

There are a few positions still open today for the 'true' believers.
https://med.virginia.edu/perceptual-studies/resources/careers-in-parapsychologypsychical-research/
the word of "few positions" seems not suitable for that "true believers",due to implied physical limitations .
:p

402DF855

Joined Feb 9, 2013
Seems likely to me that "time" is not an illusion, but "now" probably is. I've tried to imagine what this looks like mathematically but turns out just gibberish. I'm inclined to believe that time is quantized, as is space and gravity, and so the simulation theory of the universe seems more legit on that basis.

The given arguments against time travel paradoxes seem weak to me. Reminds me of Einstein apparently doubting the existence of black holes. Saying it can't happen just makes life easier.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Also a standard answer from some members here on these matters.
Sure, and it's the proper answer for many questions like, "Would you live if you jumped off a 100 story building in your birthday suit?". Not impossible but very very very unlikely. You don't need to perform the experiment if the math is simple and obvious that your terminal velocity by Newtonian, Einsteinian or any possible reasonable theory of gravity is easily fatal to humans.

Time Travel as a technology typically seen in science-fiction is in the same category.

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
But according to the study, if you travelled back in time, before your own conception, and threw your father off a 100 story building, he would necessarily not die.
Exactly the point (violation of causality) that makes actual physical time travel to the past IMO ludicrous in any sane physical universe. It's not a proof that time travel is impossible in every possible variation of all possible universes, it just means it's very very very unlikely in this one. Mathematics is not science, it's a framework of formal linguistics that doesn't need to be rooted in physical reality. So the study may be 100% correct irt to mathematical proofs while also being a fairy tale.

Last edited: