Time it takes to change states of matter

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Thanks for the link.

Spectrum 1 doesn't give a spectrum for gaseous water, despite what it claims, unless the wiggly red line is mis labelled.

Vapor at 25°C
Doesn't even say saturated vapor. It also flatlines at the OH peak between 3200 and 3400 which it clearly describes in the text and which I mentioned.

Spectrum 2 has a totally different shape in the infra red region (to the right of the red in the rainbow) so is at variancewith spectrum1. How can this be?

In any body of water at 25°C, most of the water will be liquid and a very small % will have enough energy to be graced with the term gas. I don't feel it is right to base one's view of something on a tiny % of what is really impurity and ignore the bulk material.

Funnily enough the ice is presented at a believable temperature.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
I have been reading up on the conditions of the water vapor spectra.

It sems that these were done at very low pressure to reduce the boiling point towards 25°C. So we are talking about special low pressure chambers.

Two groups, one sponsored by the French Government and one by the US Government have reported findings on the internet. Both have reported difficulties in obtaining these spectra.

The Amber's apparantly simple and innocuous question is clearly more tricky than it seems at first sight.

We certainly have to know what we mean by liquid or gas. and how much (or little) we ae talking about.